Freshmen students entering in the Fall of 2019/Spring 2020 will be the last students to enter into the Athletic Training bachelor's degree program. Beginning in Fall 2020, the Athletic Training program is moving to a Master's degree (M.S.A.T.) which will be required soon. Attached is a list of frequently asked questions regarding the program.
The Athletic Training (AT) Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). This degree provides professional preparation for students aspiring to be BOC certified athletic trainers (ATC). All students must meet specific program Selection Criteria and Technical Standards in order to pursue this degree. See the athletic training major for the requirements for selection to the athletic training program.
General Education Requirements (30-42 hours)
- University Program Courses and Competency Requirements
Degree Requirements (35-44 hours)
Foundational Sciences (17 hours)
- CHM 120 - Survey of Chemistry 4(4-0)
- CHM 127 - Introductory Chemistry Laboratory 1(0-2)
- FNS 370 - Nutrition 3(3-0)
- HSC 211 - Human Anatomy and Physiology 3(3-0)
- HSC 212 - Applied Physiology and Kinesiology 3(3-0)
- HSC 308 - Physiology of Sport and Exercise 3(3-0)
Quantitative Literacy and Critical Thinking (9 hours)
- ATR 478WI - Research Methods in Athletic Training 3(3-0)
- PHL 105 - Critical Reasoning in Everyday Life 3(3-0)
- STA 282QR - Introduction to Statistics 3(3-0)
Behavioral Science and Cultural Perspective (6 hours)
- HSC 532 - Diversity Issues in the Health Professions 3(3-0)
- PSY 100 - Introduction to Psychology 3(3-0)
Integrative Learning Experience: Requirement I (1 hour)
- ATR 441 - Pre-Internship and Professional Development 1(Spec)
Integrative Learning Experience: Requirement II (3-12 hours)
Select one of the following:
- ATR 481 - Athletic Training Practicum 3(Spec)
- ATR 482 - Athletic Training Internship 12(Spec)
Athletic Training Major (41 hours)
- ATR 100 - Foundations of Athletic Training 3(3-0)
- ATR 200 - Functional Anatomy for Athletic Trainers 3(2-3)
- ATR 280- Field Experience in Athletic Training 3(Spec)
- ATR 310 - Athletic Training Clinical I 1(Spec)
- ATR 315 - Injury Prevention I 1(Spec)
- ATR 320 - Athletic Training Clinical II 1(Spec)
- ATR 380 - Athletic Training Assessment I 3(2-2)
- ATR 381 - Athletic Training Therapeutics I 3(2-2)
- ATR 382 - Athletic Training Assessment II 3(2-2)
- ATR 383 - Athletic Training Therapeutics II 3(2-2)
- ATR 384 - Athletic Training Assessment III 3(3-0)
- ATR 390WI - Seminar in Athletic Training 2(2-0)
- ATR 415 - Injury Prevention II 1(1-0)
- ATR 430 - Athletic Training Clinical III 1(Spec)
- ATR 440 - Athletic Training Clinical IV 1(Spec)
- ATR 480 - Health Care Administration in Athletic Training 3(3-0)
- FNS 375 - Nutrition and Performance 3(3-0)
- The number of elective hours will vary depending on the hours needed to complete the general education program and degree requirements.
Minimum Totals for Graduation: 124 hours
- To graduate from CMU you must complete a minimum of 124 hours, at least 40 of which must be in courses numbered 300 or above.
- Please note: the combination of some majors and minors may require more than 124 hours for graduation.
- Not all major/minor combinations are allowed. Please consult with a University advisor to confirm your choice.
- No more than a total of 27 hours may be taken from the College of Business Administration and counted towards graduation.
- You should read the Requirements for Graduation in the Bulletin for a complete description.