Are you ...

  • Interested in the health professions field?
  • Looking for a degree program that matches your interests?
  • Not sure what classes to take?
  • Loaded with a lot of questions that need answers?
  • Currently a student in a CHP major?

Then you have come to the right place. We are here to help you!

What We Offer

Academic advising for undergraduate and graduate programs, success coaching, and help in finding student resources.

How to Find Us & Hours of Operation

The CHP Student Service Center is located in the atrium of the Health Professions Building, HPB 1250. The advising staff is happy to offer phone and virtual appointments for the fall semester.

Schedule a Visit

For undergraduates, there are three ways to schedule a visit to The Herbert H. & Grace A. Dow College of Health Professions: 

  1. Call our CHP Student Service Center, 989-774-2315
  2. Email us at 
  3. Register for a CHP Discovery Day  

For graduates, to schedule a visit with the Graduate Admissions office, please fill out the Graduate Student Visit Request Form.

Contact Us

Schedule an appointment with an advisor today! By scheduling an appointment, you will be directed to your assigned advisor and their appointment calendar.


Kelly Lawson
Academic Advisor
HPB 1250B

Nicole Acker
Academic Advisor
HPB 1250E

Ken Rumsey
Academic Advisor
HPB 1250D

Pre-Medicine & Health Professions Academic Advising

Amber Schneider
Pre-Medicine & Health Professions Advisor
HPB 1250C

Ryan Bigelow
Pre-Medicine & Health Professions Advisor
HPB 1241

Jackie Johnston
Pre-Medicine & Health Professions Advisor
HPB 1243

Graduate Admissions

Clint Fitzpatrick
Student Service Center & Graduate Admissions Director
Health Professions Building 1250F

Sandy Taylor
Administrative Assistant Graduate Admissions
Health Professions Building 1250G


If I visit a CHP Student Service Center academic advisor, do I still need to see my faculty advisor?

Yes. CHP Student Service Center academic advisors will help you with your major map, but you will still need a faculty advisor to sign your major. It is also helpful to build a relationship with an expert in the field of your interest.

What should I plan to bring to my appointment with the CHP Student Service Center academic advisor?

Come prepared by bringing a copy of your Bulletin and orientation documentation if applicable (transfer students only). We recommend that you keep copies of all forms and documents for your records.

How often should I plan to meet with an academic advisor?

You should meet with an academic advisor, either in the CHP Student Service Center or your faculty advisor, at least once a semester to discuss your plans and to make sure you are on-track to graduate in a timely manner.

Can my parents speak with my academic advisor?

Advisors are limited to what information can be shared with parents due to federal laws.

How do I sign my major(s) and/or minor(s)?

You need to officially sign your major by the time you have 56 credit hours unless otherwise stated by your designated major. You should contact your faculty advisor to schedule a time for filling out the necessary forms.

Can an advisor in the CHP Student Service Center help me with questions about a major or career options?

Yes! If you are undecided but know that you would like to go into a health-related field, then we can help you find the right major and career path for you. Call and set up and appointment to meet with an academic advisor.

Is the CHP Student Service Center available for students who are on academic probation?

Yes, regardless of your academic status we can answer your questions and are here to help in any way possible.