Internship Coordinator

Dr. Trevor Diehl

Moore 313


Internships are the best way to gain real-world experience, boost your resume, and acquire in-demand job skills. If you are interested in earning course credit for your job or internship experience, read the FAQ. More details and required forms are posted below. 

Student FAQ 

What counts as possible internship experience in BCA?

Any paid or unpaid position in mass media, journalism, public relations, or media-related discipline can potentially be applied toward college credit.

Are internships required for all BCA students in order to graduate?

No. They are optional but can be used to fulfill upper level "required electives". Talk to your academic advisor about how you can most effectively apply internship credits. 

Do I have to pay for the credits?

Yes. Internship experiences replace traditional course work, and you must pay the current per-credit hour rate via the registration system.

How many credits can I earn?

Undergraduate students are eligible for 2-6 credit internships. Graduate students are limited to 2-3 credits. Most people take 3-credits to fulfill an upper-level elective. 

How many hours do I need to work?

It depends on how many credits you want to earn. For example, for 3 credit hours: Minimum of a 20 hours week for 15 consecutive weeks. (At least 300 hours work experience). Complete requirements are listed in the GUIDELINES document below.

Who is eligible for the program?

You must be a declared BCA major with Junior status or above and currently hold at least a 2.5 GPA. 

How do I find an internship?
This part is up to you. It is the student's responsibility to find a position. Check job listings online, reach out to people/organizations you are interested in, check LinkedIn etc. The BCA office might also have contacts in the field. Just ask. 

OK. I found a job/internship. Now what?

Before you are allowed to register, your internship must be approved by 1) the BCA front office and 2) Central Michigan University's office of Licensure, Regulatory Services & Human Capital.  

For BCA guidelines, see the GUIDELINES document linked below. You need an application, a Faculty Recommendation Form, and a current transcript. 

For CMU, the agency you are interning with MUST sign an Affiliation Agreement. The agreement contracts are between the agency and CMU. Check if your agency already has an agreement on file in the link below. If your agency/company is not listed, submit the AGREEMENT CONTRACT below to the internship advisor no later than 2 weeks before registration ends.

When do I need all this in by?

Ideally, we need all documents two weeks before registration ends.

I'm registered. What do I need to do to receive credit?

Keep track of your hours and complete an end of semester project. You can choose between a reflection essay or a professional portfolio. See the ASSIGNMENTS document below. 

Internship Forms

Intern Application.pdf

Internship Guidelines.pdf

Internship Paper and Log Directions.pdf

BCA Faculty Nomination for Internship.pdf