Auditions for roles in mainstage University Theatre productions are open to all CMU students regardless of major, minor or year in school. Fall production auditions take place in the
first week of the semester and requirements and procedures vary from production to production. Details are provided below, and may also be found on the Call Board outside of the Moore Hall #133 Faculty Office suite.
Students interested in getting involved behind the scenes, working with set, lights, costumes, hair, props, sound, and make-up are asked to complete and return the crew application form available
here or on the bulletin board outside the Moore 133 faculty offices. Please take your completed application to the appropriate staff person below, and chat with them briefly about your experience and interests. No experience is required.
Costumes, Hair and Make-up
Contact: Ann Dasen - Costume Coordinator
Office: #152 Moore - Email:
firstname.lastname@example.org - Phone: 989-774-3262
Set Construction, Lighting, Properties and Sound
Contact: Dan Daugherty - Technical Director
Office: Moore #151 - Email:
email@example.com - Phone: 989-774-6594
2018 - 2019 Season Audition Details
University Theatre Dance Company Concert Artistic Direction by Heather Trommer-Beardslee
- Roles for men and women
- Audition Times and Location: Monday, January 7 and Tuesday, January 8 at 6:30 PM. Registration will start at 6:00 PM in the Rose 127 Dance Studio. (Students must audition on Monday or Tuesday in order to be considered for a callback.)
- Callback Time and Location: Callbacks will be on Wednesday, January 9 at 6:30 PM in the Rose 127 Dance Studio. (Registration starts at 6:00.)
- Audition Process: Sign up to audition on the door of the Rose 127 Dance Studio. Auditions will be held as a class that will include a warmup, combinations, and a cool down. The audition will end at approximately 8:30 PM each night.
- Rehearsals Begin: January 13
- Performance Schedule: Bush Theatre April 11 - 14
- Contact: Heather Trommer-Beardslee (Artistic Director) by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
In the Next Room, or the vibrator play
Written by Sarah Ruhl; Directed by Steve Berglund
- Roles Available: 4 Women (one of which is African-American); 3 Men
- Audition Times and Location: Tuesday and Wednesday, January 15-16 in individual slots beginning at 6:30 pm in Townsend Kiva
- Callback Time and Location: Thursday, January 17 from 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm in Townsend Kiva
- Audition Process: 1. Scripts are on reserve at Park Library at the Reserve Desk. 2. Sign up for an audition day/time on the board outside Moore 133. 3. Prepare a one-minute comic monologue.
- Rehearsals Begin: Tuesday, January 22nd
- Performance Schedule: Bush Theatre/March 20-24
- Contact: Steve Berglund (Director) by email at email@example.com
- Description: Set in the 1880s at the dawn of the age of electricity and based on the bizarre historical fact that doctors used vibrators to treat 'hysterical' women (and some men), the play centers on a doctor and his wife and how his new therapy affects their entire household.
- Content note: Adult themes
CMU Summer Theatre 2019 Auditions/Interviews
- Positions available: 11-13 (including various tech positions and acting roles)
- Audition Date: Saturday, February 23
- Additional information coming soon
Self-Help and The Great Kooshog Lake Hollis McCauley Fishing Derby
Shrek the Musical
The Whipping Man
2019 Summer Theatre Auditions
CMU Summer Theatre will be holding auditions/technical interviews for a company of actors/technicians to present a summer season of two plays:
The Fox on the Fairway
by Ken Ludwig, directed by Steve Berglund, 3f/3m
by Neil Simon, directed by Elaine Daugherty, 3f/2m
Auditions and technical interviews will be held on Friday, February 15th. Auditions will begin at 2:00 pm. Callbacks will be held on Saturday, February 16th in Bush Theatre (1:00 pm-4:00 pm). Those auditioning should present one prepared comic monologue NO LONGER THAN ONE MINUTE in length. A tech interview is REQUIRED. The tech interview will be scheduled at the same time that your audition is scheduled. A completed ST 2019 company application must be brought to both the audition and tech interview.
Contact Steve Berglund (firstname.lastname@example.org; Moore 134) to sign up for an audition and tech interview time.
Company members may be involved in all aspects of production: acting; costume construction and maintenance; scenery construction, maintenance and changeovers; properties; publicity and house management; box office; sound; lighting; load-in/load-out; etc. There will be several tech-only positions in the company. Company members may also have responsibilities related to the CMU Theatre High School Summer Camps.
All company members will be paid ($1,500.00 scholarship for the season) and will be eligible for free tuition for a specified TAI course.
The Summer Theatre season begins on Monday, May 13th and ends at the end of the day on Monday, July 15th. Shows will be performed in Bush Theatre June 20th through June 23rd. One week of the season will be spent on tour at the Beaver Island Community Theatre and one week in Whitehall, MI at the Howmet Playhouse. Housing, transportation, meals and incidentals while in Mt. Pleasant will be the responsibility of the individual company member. Housing, ferry transportation and meals will be provided during the tour at Beaver Island; transportation, meals and incidentals while on tour to Whitehall will be the responsibility of the individual company member. Housing in Whitehall will be provided. In addition, both of the productions will be revived for the opening of the 2019-2020 University Theatre season.
Scripts will be available at the Reserve Desk in Park Library in the near future.
Professor Steve Berglund (Moore 134, x3961), Professor Elaine Daugherty (Moore 139, x7808) Dan Daugherty (Moore 151, x6594, Technical Director), Daniel Thieme-Whillow (Moore 152, x3262, Costume Shop Manager