Let us entertain you with a diverse selection of faculty directed plays which are performed in Bush Theatre or Theatre-on-the-Side (located adjacent Bush Theatre in Moore Hall) on the CMU Campus. Tickets for each season are available beginning in August through
CMU Ticket Central.
We also sponsor numerous free, smaller-scale, Studio Theatre productions every semester. Additional performance details are available online at
cda.cmich.edu/news and on Facebook.
THE 2018-2019 UNIVERSITY THEATRE SEASON
Two comedies return from CMU Summer Theatre 2018:
Self-Help by Norm Foster, Directed by Elaine DiFalco Daugherty
- Bush Theatre/ September 6 & 8 at 7:30 p.m.
The Great Kooshog Lake Hollis McCauley Fishing Derby by Norm Foster; Directed by Steve Berglund
- Bush Theatre/ September 7 at 7:30 p.m. and September 9 at 2:00 p.m.
- Investment banker James Bell gets stuck in the sleepy town of Kooshog Lake during their annual fishing derby. A quirky comedy complete with romance, broken hearts and a shark attack. (Contains mild mature content)
Shakuntala by Kalidasa; Directed by guest director (Fulbright scholar), Satyabrata Rout; Assistant Directed by Annette Thornton
- Theatre-on-the-Side/ October 4-6 & 11-13 at 7:30 p.m. and October 7 & 14 at 2:00 p.m.
- This 5th century CE play tells the love story of the woodland maiden Shakuntala and King Dushyanta. Written as visual poetry, the play portrays humans’ responsibility and contribution for building a healthy society. Performers use classical Indian theatre – dance and drama – to tell the story and create a stylized portrait of life through metaphors and symbols.
Shrek the Musical Book and Lyrics by David Lindsay-Abaire; Music by Jeanine Tesori; Directed by Keeley Stanley-Bohn; Musical Direction by Paul Brodene Smith; Choreography by Heather Trommer-Beardslee
- Bush Theatre/ November 7-9 at 7:30 p.m. and November 10 - 11 at 2:00 p.m.
- Based on the Oscar-winning DreamWorks Animation film, Shrek The Musical is a Tony Award-winning fairy tale adventure, featuring all new songs from Jeanine Tesori and a sidesplitting book by David Lindsay-Abaire. Shrek brings all the beloved characters you know from the film to life on stage and proves there's more to the story than meets the ears.
The Whipping Man by Mathew Lopez; Directed by Nancy Eddy
In the Next Room, or the vibrator play by Sarah Ruhl; Directed by Steve Berglund
- Bush Theatre/ January 30 – February 2 at 7:30 p.m. and February 3 at 2:00 p.m.
- Lee has surrendered and a wounded Confederate soldier returns to find his home in ruins and his family gone, but two former slaves remain. Secrets and sorrows from their shared past are revealed leading to the play’s shocking conclusion. (Contains mature content)
University Theatre Dance Company Concert Artistic Direction by Heather Trommer-Beardslee
- Bush Theatre/March 20 – 23 at 7:30 p.m. and March 24 at 2:00 p.m.
- Set in the 1880’s at the dawn of the age of electricity, this funny, provocative, and marvelously entertaining story centers on a young doctor and his wife, and how his new therapy affects his household and his patients. Based on historical facts, this is a touching comedy with an appealingly mature sensibility. (Contains mature content)
- Bush Theatre/April 11 – 13 at 7:30 p.m. and April 14 at 2:00 p.m.
- Experience an exhilarating and creative dance production. Genres range from ballet to hip-hop, and modern to theatrical story dance.
Ticketing and Tips
Advance purchase tickets are available at a reduced price through our partners at CMU Ticket Central. If the production doesn't sell out in advance, remaining tickets will be available for purchase at the Bush Theatre ticket window starting one-hour prior to each performance.
We strongly recommend advance purchase for our musical and all performances scheduled for Theatre-on-the-Side.
For more information, please contact:
Steven Berglund, Director of University Theatre, Professor
Office: Moore 134 - Phone: (989) 774-3961