Thursday, January 30, 2020
Join double reed professors Lindabeth Binkley (oboe) and MaryBeth Minnis (bassoon) for Double Reed Day 2020
with special guests Christa
Garvey, Professor of Oboe
at the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, and Cindy Duda, Bassoon Instructor at Saginaw Valley State University,
Albion College, and the Michigan State University Community Music School.
It will be a fast-paced day featuring master
classes, special topic sessions, double reed ensemble, and reed making instruction
for new and experienced reed makers. From
beginner to advanced, we welcome all double reed students to join us for this
inspiring day- there will be something for everyone!
Please note: Oboists
and bassoonists interested in auditioning for admission to the School of Music
for the Fall 2020 semester may also do so on CMU Double Reed Day.
Cost to Attend
Who can attend?
- Oboe & Bassoon students grades 6-12
- Students interested in switching from another instrument to the oboe or bassoon
- Double Reed Alumni
- Recreational Double Reed players
- Double Reed Private Studio Teachers
- K-12 Music Teachers looking to improve their double reed knowledge
Complete and submit your online registration below.
Schedule of Events
Reed Round-up & Instrument Check
- Get your new reed adjusted specifically for you by Dr. Binkley (oboe) or Prof. Minnis (bassoon). NOTE: A limited number of reeds will be available for purchase at registration ($20). Limit of one new reed per participant at registration Double Reed Day, please!
- Visit the CMU Reed Room and get one of your own reeds adjusted by an outstanding CMU student reed maker.
- Get your oboe or bassoon checked by expert double reed repairman Bruce McCall of Meridian Winds.
10:00-10:30 AM||Small Group Warm-up Sessions |
Placement assigned at registration
Double Reed Ensemble Rehearsal*
*High School Seniors interested in auditioning for admission to the School of Music for the Fall 2020 semester may do so at this time. Please reserve an audition time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org (oboe) or email@example.com (bassoon).
Lunch at Fresh Food Company, an on-campus residential restaurant.|
Participants & Observers only
The Fresh Food Company (FFCo) offers all-you-care-to-eat dining in a modern setting. The kitchen is eliminated so all food is prepared right in front of you. Here you'll find seven stations featuring a variety of foods. Check out the brick-fired pizza oven and 360 degree Mongolian-style grill!
Double Reed Day Ala Carte. Select from a menu of options!|
- College Audition/Solo & Ensemble Master Class
with Dr. Binkley (oboe) or Prof. Minnis (bassoon)
- "Lightning" Topic Sessions
with Dr. Christa Garvey (oboe), Cindy Duda (bassoon), or CMU Double Reed Students. These 20-minute fast-paced sessions will explore a variety of topics such as:
- Good Vibrations and Singing Vibrato
- Explore English horn or Contrabassoon
- Fingering Finesse: Tips for Technical Passages
2:30-3:45 PM||Reed Making|
- "Scrape Smart"
A session designed to help reed makers scrape with improved precision and accuracy. This session is for students who have reed making experience and their own reed making tools. If attending this session, please bring your reed making tools and reeds on which you can experiment.
- "Getting Started with Reed Making"
An introductory session that covers the structure of the reed, crowing, knife skills, clipping, and basic reed adjustment. This session is designed for students with little to no reed making experience. Reed making tools and practice cane provided.
|For those not interested in Reed Making:|
Observe CMU Symphony Orchestra Rehearsal (2:30-3:00)
Explore Campus with a School of Music Ambassador (3:00-3:45)
4:00-5:00 PM||CMU Double Reed Day Concert|
Staples Family Concert Hall
Enjoy performances by Dr. Binkley, Prof. Minnis, Dr. Garvey, Prof. Duda, CMU Double Reed Students with a grand finale of the CMU Double Reed Day Ensemble!
7:30-9:00 PM||Rebels & Rule-breakers|
Staples Family Concert Hall
Get ready for a new concert experience! This performance is dedicated to musicians and concert goers who crave a new musical adventure. We will take you inside the music in an interactive way and help you explore music of many different styles and genres.
Lindabeth Binkley, Oboe
Music Building Office