Audition Requirements - Strings
- One major and one minor scale, three octaves of your choice
- One etude of your choice, such as Dont, Fiorillo, Kreutzer, or Rode, etc.
- Two contrasting pieces such as one movement from a Bach solo Sonata or Partita and one movement of a standard concerto
- One of the 24 Paganini Caprices.
- Two contrasting movements from a Bach Solo Sonata or Partita, or the Chaconne from the D minor Partita.
- One movement of a standard concerto.
- Major and minor scales, three octaves.
- An etude that demonstrates ability, such as Mazas, Campagnoli or Bruni.
- A contrasting work, such as a movement from a Bach Cello Suite, a movement of a sonata, or a solo piece.
- Possible sight-reading
- Two contrasting movements from a Bach Cello Suite or Violin Partita.
- One movement from a sonata or concerto.
- A virtuosic work which demonstrates ability
- Major and minor scales, 4 sharps, 4 flats, 3 octaves
- One etude
(preferably from the Popper High School of Cello Playing, or by Grutzmacker, Piatti, or Duport)
- One movement from a Bach Suite
- A movement from a concerto or sonata.
- All major and minor scales
- Two movements in contrasting styles, preferably one movement from a concerto and one movement from a Sonata or Bach suite.
- Sight reading required.
- All Diatonic Major and Minor scales
Two or three octaves with Segovia, Shearer, or Royal Conservatory Series fingerings. Be prepared to use IM, IA, MA, and IMA right hand finger combinations.
- Three repertoire pieces, played from memory, one from each of the following:
A movement from a Bach Lute Suite, Cello Suite, or Violin Sonata/Partita; a Classical/Romantic era work from one of the following composers: Sor, Giuliani, Aguado, Legnani, Coste, Mertz, Regondi, or Tarrega; and a modern era work from one of the following composers: Villa Lobos, Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Brouwer, or Domeniconi.
- Giuliani 120 Studies for the Right Hand, op. 1.
Prepare to play several arpeggios from this collection with good tone, velocity, and precision. Selections will be chosen at the time of the audition.
- Sight Reading
All students should prepare to sight-read a work at the level of Royal Conservatory grade 4 or higher. Selections will be chosen at the time of the audition.