BME, BA & BS degrees
Repertoire (one piece must be performed from memory) must include:
- One Bach Three-Part Invention or one Prelude and Fugue from the Well-Tempered Clavier
- First or last movement of a Beethoven, Haydn, Hummel, or Mozart sonata
- One piece from either the Romantic, Impressionistic, or Contemporary periods.
- All major and harmonic minor scales, arpeggios, four octaves, hands together.
Sight-reading will be selected at the audition
Repertoire (performed from memory) must include:
- One Prelude and Fugue from J.S. Bach’s Well-Tempered Clavier
- The first or last movement of a Beethoven, Haydn, Hummel, or Mozart sonata
- One piece from either the Romantic, Contemporary, or Impressionistic periods
- All major and harmonic minor scales, arpeggios, four octaves, hands together
- Sight-reading will be selected at the audition.
Tab 3 of 5.
Repertoire for all degrees should be at the level of, but not restricted to:
- Romantic (Brahms-Intermezzi;Chopin-Waltzes, Mazurkas, Preludes, Fantasie-Impromptu, Nocturnes; Mendelssohn-Songs Without Words; Schubert-Impromptus, Moments Musicaux; Schumann-Scenes from Childhood)
- Impressionistic (Debussy-Preludes, Etudes, Children’s Corner; Ravel-Sonatina)
- Contemporary (Bartok-Mikrokosmos Vols. V & VI, Romanian Dances; Copland-Four Piano Blues, Cat and Mouse; Dello-Joio-Sonatas; Prokofiev-Visions Fugitives; Schoenberg-Three Pieces, Op. 11)
- Sacred music
- Contemporary Christian music
- or arrangements are not permissible audition materials.
Please note that if you are intending to major in music education with piano as your primary instrument, you must audition and be accepted on another instrument/voice in addition to the piano in order to pursue this degree.
International students who are unable to come to campus for a live audition should submit a CD or DVD of their solo playing, including the repertoire requirement.
BME, BA & BS degrees*
You will perform on a three-manual, 61-rank Casavant organ, Opus 3756. If you have no prior experience on the organ but wish to study or major in organ, you will be asked to audition on piano. Prepare:
Memorization is encouraged but not required. Sightreading is not required.
- prepare all major and harmonic minor scales (4 octaves)
- One prelude and fugue from J.S. Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier or a three-part invention/sinfonia
- One movement of a Beethoven, Haydn, Hummel, or Mozart sonata c. One piece from either the Romantic, Contemporary, or Impressionistic periods.
If you have studied the organ and have had experience with combined manual and pedal scales (major keys only), you will be asked to perform selected ones plus three prepared pieces from the following repertoire:
- One by J.S. Bach--a prelude and fugue or chorale prelude
- One piece from the 19th or 20th century--Franck, Brahms, Vierne, Widor, Langlais, etc.
- One hymn of your choice, including all verses and using appropriate registrations.
*The BM Organ degree is currently on hiatus.