The health and education of our clients is of utmost importance to us here at the Presentation Skills Center. In accordance with the university’s and Park Library's procedures, the Presentation Skills Center will not be physically open on campus until further notice.
In order to best serve clients, we will continue to offer virtual consultations for all clients via WebEx. About an hour before their appointment, students will be emailed a link which they can use to virtually join us at their scheduled times.
If clients do not have access to WebEx or other technologies necessary for a virtual consultation, we will still help out in whatever way possible. To best do this, we ask that clients email us at PSCenter@cmich.edu
We are happy to assist students seeking assistance with recording and uploading speeches, as well as faculty interested in best practices for online presentations. We look forward to continuing to help clients to deliver their best speeches.
Available to on-campus and online students, faculty, and staff, the Presentation Skills Center offers individual or group consultations and practice sessions. Clients have the opportunity to record and analyze their speeches, and detailed feedback is made available during the session.
There is no charge for this service, which is provided by CMU's Department of Communication.
The Power of Public Speaking:
The ability to present ideas effectively is a skill set important for securing employment, advancing one's career, and being an empowered citizen. The consultants at CMU's Presentation Skills Center are here to help individuals with every aspect of the speechmaking process, from selecting a topic and identifying one's audience to organizing ideas, conducting research, providing supporting evidence, and practicing delivery.
Consultants at CMU's Presentation Skills Center will…
- Brainstorm ideas and provide feedback on your potential speech topics.
- Help with the development of an argument tailored to your audience.
- Assist you with suggestions for the development, organization, style, or clarity of a draft speech outline.
- Offer strategies for managing communication apprehension and speech phobia.
- Provide suggestions for researching topics and finding evidence to support your argument.
- Assist you with quoting, paraphrasing, summarizing, and responding to sources.
- Consult with you as you revise and polish your speech.
- Help you to record your speech.
- Provide helpful feedback for improving your speech.
Our goal is a collaboration in which we offer ideas and suggestions to help speakers in the process of developing, researching, and polishing their speeches.