If you've dreamed of a future in theatre and dance, then why not follow your passion to CMU? Our Theatre and Dance degrees bring together a strong curriculum, experienced faculty from diverse backgrounds, great facilities, and numerous opportunities to participate in productions starting in your freshman year. Theatre-related degree programs are available in Design/Technical Theatre, Acting/Directing, and Music Theatre, and Dance Studies. Auditions are required for admission to the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) programs in Acting and Music Theatre, and an interview is required for the BFA Design/Tech, but not for our other Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts offerings. Dual majors may also be prepared to allow more diverse future options.
Theatre students also learn a variety of skills that are considered "most-valuable" by employers of all kinds, including creative problem solving, teamwork, meeting deadlines, priority setting, communicating orally, working under pressure, adaptability, and balancing the competing needs of project partners.
Theatre and Dance highlights
- Close interaction with experienced professional faculty who are focused on your success
- An average of 25+ sponsored productions per year: a six-production main-stage season, summer theatre tour, dance productions, studio theatre productions and more.
- Strong curriculum with a variety of available courses
- Undergraduate focus provides greater potential for on-stage and back-stage involvement early in your college experience
- Quality production, classroom, technical and support facilities
- Exposure to professional guest artists who participate as workshop hosts, playwrights, guest lecturers, designers and engage in special performances. Recent examples include: a Fulbright Scholar and specialist in Visual and Indian Theatre, an improv workshop hosted by CMU alumnus Larry Joe Campbell, a dance residency specializing in the Gaga movement language, and many more
- Trips to attend plays at regional professional theatres with time set aside to meet with cast, tech crew, and administration for discussion
- The opportunity to compete in regional and national events, and participate in national theatre organization events
- National network of successful alumni
- The opportunity to join Alpha Psi Omega, the national honorary theatre fraternity
- Diverse career and educational opportunities available upon graduation
Explore CMU Theatre
International Network of Alumni
Over 7,000 Communication and Dramatic Arts alumni are employed across all 50 states and several foreign countries. Theatre alumni keep in touch regularly, with dozens of updates coming in annually and posted on our alumni and social media sites.
Developed using CMU Alumni database records and mapping
software provided by Heatmapper.
Get Started Today!