Skip navigation

Theatre Transfer Guide

Each year many students from other colleges and current CMU students decide to begin working toward a TAI major or minor.   Below you will find information and links to may be very helpful in navigating this process, making a smooth transition and getting the most from previous coursework.

Getting Started

You may transfer up to 15 hours of theatre coursework toward the completion of any Theatre and Interpretation major. Transfer students are strongly encouraged to take only courses comparable to the 100 and 200 level courses listed above (TAI 170 Fundamentals of Interpretive Reading; TAI 177 Stagecraft and Lighting; TAI 182 Acting I; TAI 278 Stage Makeup).


The lists of required courses for a Communication major or minor are available on the TAI Curriculum web page.   The CMU Bulletin web site may also be helpful for anyone interested in comparing course requirements arising from the combination of various majors and minors.

Additional information of interest to students transferring​ credits is available on the following pages provided by  (or linked through) our registrar's office:

​Transfer students are welcome to visit us in our Moore 133 office or to call us at (989) 774-3177.  New transfer students should contact our Undergraduate Admissions Office for information on advising at (989) 774-3076 or by e-mail at