Auditions for roles in mainstage University Theatre productions are open to all CMU students regardless of major, minor or year in school. Fall production auditions take place in the
first week of the semester and requirements and procedures vary from production to production. Details are provided below, and may also be found on the Call Board outside of the Moore Hall #133 Faculty Office suite.
Students interested in getting involved behind the scenes, working with set, lights, costumes, hair, props, sound, and make-up are asked to complete and return the crew application form which is also available on the bulletin board near the Moore 133 department office. Take your completed application to the appropriate staff person below, and chat with them briefly about your experience and interests. No experience is required.
Costumes, Hair and Make-up
Contact: Ann Dasen - Costume Coordinator
Office: #152 Moore - Email:
email@example.com - Phone: 989-774-3262
Set Construction, Lighting, Properties and Sound
Contact: Dan Daugherty - Technical Director
Office: Moore #151 - Email:
firstname.lastname@example.org - Phone: 989-774-6594
2019 - 2020 Mainstage Season Audition Details
Specific locations and times will be added beginning in August. Follow us on social media and check the call boards around the Green Room for additional Studio Theatre and Improv Team auditions.
FALL COMEDY: Ken Ludwig's A Fox on the Fairway & California Suite by Neil Simon
Cast in February 2019 during Summer Theatre 2019 auditions.
Written by August Strindberg, Adapted by Howard Brenton, Directed by Steve Berglund
- October 3-6/10-13
- 8 performances
- Auditions: First week of classes, between August 26th and August 30th (in conjunction with Ragtime auditions)
- Rehearsals begin Tuesday, September 3rd (4 ½ weeks)
- Includes mature themes and language
A conflict of sexual passion and social position that is jagged and gripping. This stark and penetrating drama explores the turbulent war of wills between a well-to-do young woman and her father's servant.
- Book by Terrence McNally/Music by Stephen Flaherty/Lyrics by Lynn Ahrens, Directed by Annette Thornton, Musical Direction by Paul Smith
- Bush Theatre
- November 6-9 at 7:30 pm/November 10 at 2:00 pm
- 5 performances
- Auditions: First week of classes; between August 27th and 31st (In conjunction with Miss Julie auditions)
- Rehearsals begin September 9th (8 ½ weeks)
This Tony Award-winning musical deals with discrimination and social inequality in the United States at the turn of the twentieth century. The award-winning score uses ragtime rhythms to paint a portrait of the people who built this country with the hopes for a brighter tomorrow.
Written by Simon Stephens, Directed by Keeley Stanley-Bohn
- Townsend Kiva
- February 5-8 at 7:30 pm/ February 9 at 2:00 pm
- Auditions: November 11-14
- Rehearsals begin Monday, November 18th (5½ weeks)
- Includes violence and strongly mature themes and language
Simon Stephens's tender, ferocious and frightening play is set in a private school outside of Manchester, England where a group of highly-articulate students flirt and posture their way through the day while preparing for their exams. With hormones raging and minimal adult supervision, the students must prepare for their future—and survive the savagery of high school. Punk Rock is an honest and unnerving chronicle of contemporary adolescence.
Written by Thornton Wilder, Directed by Nancy Eddy
- Bush Theatre
- March 25th – March 28th at 7:30 pm/March 29th at 2:00 pm
- High School Matinee on Friday, March 27th
- Auditions: Week of January 13
- Rehearsals begin Tuesday, January 21st (8½ weeks)
This Pulitzer Prize winning play, described by Edward Albee as "…the greatest American play ever written," follows the Webb and Gibbs families as their children fall in love, marry, and eventually – in one of the most famous scenes in American theatre – die. Our Town is an impassioned call to take notice of the beauty in small and everyday things.
University Theatre Dance Company Concert
Artistic Direction by Heather Trommer-Beardslee
- Bush Theatre
- April 16-18 at 7:30 pm/April 19 at 2:00 pm
- Auditions: January 14-16
Experience an exhilarating and creative dance production. Genres range from ballet to hip-hop, and modern to theatrical story dance.