Summer Theatre is a repertory theatre tour that provides 10-13 TAD students an opportunity to gain valuable real-world experiences each year. It begins with auditions each February, rehearsals and set/costume creation begin in May, and performances run from June through September. In addition to Bush Theatre, students will pack, travel, and tour to the Beaver Island BIC Center, and the historic Playhouse at Whitehall, with a return to Bush Theatre to open the following season.
The 2021 CMU Summer Theatre Season - Live audiences return!
We're pleased to announce a return to Bush Theatre performances to live audiences for Summer Theatre 2021! Naturally, seating is limited and socially distanced, and masks will be required by all. See below for full details.
Special: Buy 1, Get 1 for the other play free! Offer only available by phone at 989-774-3045.
- Written by Michael Hollinger; Directed by Keeley Stanley- Bohn
- Three love stories, a murder mystery, and a nuclear espionage plot converge in this noir comedy about marriage and other explosive devices. It’s 1952: America’s on the verge of the H-Bomb, Dwight Eisenhower’s on the campaign trail, and I Love Lucy’s on Monday nights. Meanwhile, Senator Joe McCarthy’s daughter just got engaged to a Soviet spy, and Boston detective Maggie Pelletier has to find out who dumped the dead guy in the harbor – or else lose out on a honeymoon in Havana. A blunt-nosed, sharp-eyed look at love and tying (and untying, and retying) the knot.
- TICKETS: CMU Campus - Bush Theatre Performances or by phone at (989) 774-3045: Thursday and Saturday, June 17 & 19 at 7:30 pm
BIC Center, Beaver Island: July 3 at 7:30 pm
The Playhouse at White Lake: July 10 at 7:30 pm
- Written by A. R. Gurney; Directed by Steve Berglund
- A modern romantic comedy about a marriage and a dog. "Dramatic literature is stuffed with memorable love scenes, but none is as immediately delicious and dizzy as the one that begins the redeeming affair in A.R. Gurney's new comedy, SYLVIA…" —NY Times. "I can only call it one of the most involving, beautiful, funny, touching and profound plays I have ever seen…" —NY Daily News. "Gurney's mad comedy is the most endearing good time to trot down the pike in many a moon. Howlingly funny…" —BackStage.
- *Includes mature language
TICKETS: CMU Campus - Bush Theatre Performances or by phone at (989) 774-3045 : Friday, June 18 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, June 20 at 2:00 pm
BIC Center, Beaver Island: July 2 at 7:30 pm
Playhouse at White Lake: July 9 at 7:30 pm
Bush Theatre Covid-19 Safety Protocol for Summer Theatre 2021
Our goal is to provide a safe experience for you, our students, staff, and faculty. Below is information about safely attending, requirements for patrons, and our preparations for your return. State and University Guidelines are in a state of flux, and changes are possible. Please check the
CMU University Theatre web page
for updates before coming to the show.
Please stay home if any of the following are true. (If necessary, refunds will be processed promptly through CMU Ticket Central):
1. You are currently experiencing symptoms of Covid-19, or have experienced symptoms within the last 14 days, including shortness of breath, fever, cough, etc.
2. You are under evaluation for Covid-19 (awaiting test results), or have recently been diagnosed with Covid-19.
3. You are unvaccinated and have been in close contact with anyone suspected or confirmed of having Covid-19.
ALL patrons must practice social distancing and wear masks at all times, including those who have been vaccinated, unless they qualify for an exception approved by MIOSHA/Michigan requirements (aged under two, or unable to medically tolerate a face mask).
We will provide hand sanitizer and social distancing spacing guides in appropriate areas.
Please sit in your assigned seats and follow social distancing guidelines leaving 6 ft of space between yourself and other groups at all times, including during intermission and before and after each performance.
Tickets and information will be at:
For more information, please contact:
Steve Berglund, Chair, Department of Theatre and Dance
Phone: (989) 774-3961