Virtual Theatre Camp details will be released here very soon. Thank you for your interest and check back soon.
Come join the fun from June 21-27, 2020!
Get out of the house this summer, and onto the stage (or backstage) with CMU's theatre camp. Whether you stay in our residence halls or commute from home, you'll enjoy seven days of exploration, fun, and growth. No experience is needed. Those with a theatre background will be able to expand their knowledge and get an edge on the competition. Theatre Camp is open to students entering 9th grade through those entering college as freshmen this fall with a minimum age of 14.
Each day (9 am - 4 pm) will include several interactive sessions where you'll learn new areas of theatre craft, ranging from acting and movement to costume design and auditioning skills. Sessions will make use of engaging exercises, games and interactive techniques to keep your interest and ensure growth. Imagine how much you'll grow, when learning from university theatre professors who have extensive experience in professional theatre. By the time you're done, it'll have been like having several individual tutors.
Camps are limited to 20 students, so you'll receive individualized attention. Sign up soon to reserve your space!
Registration and payment
Step One: Complete your registration form by following the link below. Note that your space will not be held until a payment is received through step 2 below:
Step Two: Once you have submitted the form above and received your email confirmation, you may make your payment and reserve your space for CMU Theatre Camp 2020! Payment is by credit card only and is made using the link below.
Each day will include 2-3 unique learning sessions, as well as time to rehearse and prepare for our final showcase. Sessions may include topics such as:
- Stage Combat
- Costume Design
- Auditioning Skills
- Scenic and Lighting Design
- Characterization and Voice
- SFX Hair & Make-up
- Acting Resumes and Tech Theatre Portfolio
- Stage Management
Our camp will be much more than just a theatre experience! You'll meet new friends, become familiar with a "Top 100" university campus, discover new interests and explore your abilities. You'll be coached to grow in a friendly, lively, and encouraging setting that will inspire you to achieve your personal best. Participants will also enjoy an opportunity to participate in a showcase activity for their family and friends.
Overnight campers can enjoy after-hours games and activities, with trained youth counselors, including Bowling, Swimming and an "all-access pass" to our fabulous Student Activity Center!
- Commuter Package: $350
- One-week camp experience and theatre activities all-day
- Includes weekday lunches in residential restaurants
- Resident Package: $500
- As above, plus: lodging in our air-conditioned dormitories, 18 delicious meals in our residential restaurants, guided activities, and a friendly staff of youth counselors.
Sessions will be led by experienced theatre professionals and college faculty, such as:
- Steve Berglund: Chair of Department of Theatre and Dance, Director, Actor, and Professor
- Elaine Daugherty: Theatre Professor and Director
- Ann Dasen: Theatre Professor, Costume and Make-up Designer
- Dan Daugherty: Theatre Professor, Technical Director
- Heather Trommer-Beardslee: Dance Professor, Director of Dance
You'll have access to the full range of CMU's theatre, residence, dining and recreation facilities, including:
- Bush Theatre
- Costume Shop and Collection
- Dance Studio
- Design and Tech Lab
- Scene and Paint Shop
- Student Activity Center
- Theatre-on-the-Side (Black Box)
- Residential Restaurants
- Residence Halls
(See virtual tour of theatre facilities)
- Breakfast meal in residential restaurant*
- Session 1 - Acting/Performance focused
- Session 2 - Acting/Performance focused
- Lunch in residential restaurant
- Session 3 - Design and Tech
- Session 4 - Showcase rehearsal and preparation
- Dinner in residential restaurant*
- Recreation and activities*
* Breakfast and dinner provided for overnight campers only
Tell your friends and start your plans, today!
We're excited to work with you and your friends, and if you're ready to explore, then its time to talk with your parents and start your
If you have any questions about the camp, get in touch with Ann Dasen, Camp Coordinator and Costume Designer: (989) 774-3262 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note on Program Cancellation:
CMU University Theatre reserves the right to cancel any program or activity at any time due to limited enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances. If cancellations occur, University Theatre will issue refunds for registration fees, but cannot be held liable for other costs, charges or fees, including cancellation fees from airlines or travel agencies, childcare expenses or any other associated expenses.