The Real Estate Minor: Frequently Asked Questions

Question # 1

Do I have to be an enrolled student in the College of Business Administration (CBA) to take the new real estate minor?

Answer: NO. You do not have to be an enrolled CBA student to take the new real estate minor. You do have to sign up for a real estate minor with the Real Estate program director.

Like other CBA minor programs, the new Real Estate minor is designed to be open to non-CBA students. The minor requirements consist of a cluster of second year business courses in Accounting, Economics and Finance followed by four third year courses in the new Real Estate program. The Real Estate courses are described in the answer to question 2 below. The second year prerequisites for the minor are described in question 3.

Question # 2

I'm a junior and thinking about a real estate minor but I'm not sure about my interest level in real estate. What would you recommend?

Answer: I would recommend taking FIN 335 this semester year and see how you like it.

Subsequently, if you were interested, you could then take FIN 336 (RE Finance & Investments, Fall only) in Fall of your senior year. 

To complete the minor, you would need two of BLR 330 (RE Law, Fall only), ECO 375 (Economics of cities & regions, Fall only), FIN 337 (RE Valuation/appraisal, Spring only) or one of those with an approved elective by the program director.

You could either take FIN 337 (RE Valuation/appraisal, Spring only) in the Spring of your junior year or Senior year.  Or you could take BLR 330 (RE Law, Fall only) and/or ECO 375 (Economics of cities & regions, Fall only) to earn a real estate minor.

If you start in your junior year there a number ways to complete the minor on time.

Question # 3

I am not enrolled in the College of Business Administration (CBA) but I am interested in the new real estate MINOR. What do the requirements for the Real Estate Minor look like for me?

Answer: You have to take four Real Estate courses FIN 335 (principles), FIN 336 (RE Finance & Investments, Fall only), and two of FIN 337 (Fall only), BLR 330 (Fall only), ECO 375 (Fall only).  You may also take one of the three recommended electives and choose a second elective approved by the Program Director.

In addition, you have to take some second year prerequisite courses. The table below shows the second year CBA prerequisites (for all students outside the CBA except Entrepreneurial Studies) and the corresponding course in Entrepreneurial Studies where credit is given:

CBA prerequisite ENT prerequisite

  • ACC 201(3) or ACC 250 (3) ACC 210 (3)
  • ACC 202(3) or ACC 255 (3) ACC 202 (3) or ACC 255 (3)
  • ECO 201 (3) or ECO 204 (3) ECO 213 (3)
  • FIN 302 (3) or FIN 332 (3) ENT 320 (3)

Question # 4

I am a CBA Senior and thinking about the real estate minor?

Answer: If you already took Fin 335 during your junior year, refer above and you can easily complete the minor!  If you have not yet taken Fin 335, it may not be possible if you intend to graduate in spring. 

The two required courses are FIN 335 (RE Principles) and FIN 336 (RE Finance & Investments, Fall only).  Since Fin 335 is a prerequisite for Fin 336 it might not be possible.  However, taking a couple real estate classes may still qualify as electives for many majors/minors.  That knowledge is some you will have the rest of your life.

Feel free to contact the program director for specific questions.

Question # 5

The real estate courses are designated "FIN" courses in the Bulletin since the Real Estate program sits in the Finance & Law department. Suppose I am a CBA Finance major, and want to minor in real estate. Will my transcripts show the Real Estate minor separately from the Finance major?

Answer: Yes, a CBA student who is a Finance major and also satisfies the requirements for the Real Estate minor will have both major and minor shown separately on their transcripts.