The Certified Management Accountant (CMA) is the internationally accepted designation for management accountants and financial managers. The CMA is beneficial for those seeking careers in industry rather than a career in public accounting. The CMA certification is offered through the certification division of the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA).
What is the CMA Elite Track?
CMU is now offering The CMA Elite Track, which is a guided pathway that provides students an opportunity to graduate with the CMA exam completed. Specifically, the IMA requirements allow a student to sit for one part of the exam during their junior year and the remaining part of the exam can be taken in the middle of their senior year.
What is the Four-Step Pathway?
- Students are encouraged to take finance minor or take finance electives.
- A detailed curricular map for the CMA elite track is available in the School of Accounting Office.
Who can take part in the pathway?
The pathway is intended for any student desiring a CMA certification.
Is there a class I need to enroll in?
No, the CMA Elite Track is a guided pathway not an academic course. School of Accounting faculty will help modify your academic schedule and walk you through the process of passing the CMA exam.
What does it cost?
IMA student member dues - $39 (regular $230)
Certification entrance fee - $188 (regular $250)
Exam fee (per part) - $311 (regular $415)
Prometric rescheduling fees - $50
There are two parts to the CMA Exam:
Part 1: Financial Planning, Performance, and Control
Part 2: Financial Decision Making
- Both parts offered daily except Sunday and holidays
- Both parts are offered in:
- January and February
- May and June
- September and October
- Both parts involve 4 hours of exam time:
- 100 multiple choice questions
- Two 30-minute essay questions
What are the benefits of joining the IMA?
- Student Discounts
- IMA Student Membership Fee $39.00 (normally $220)
- IMA sponsors a variety of Scholarships
- Student Chapter
- Local IMA Chapter
- Strategic Finance Magazine
- Campus Connection e-newsletter
For more information, please stop by the School of Accounting Office in Grawn 312.