The Real Estate Minor: Frequently Asked Questions

Page Image
Page Content

Question 1 : Do I have to be an enrolled student in the College of Business Administration (CBA) to take the new real estate minor?

Answer : NO. You do not have to be an enrolled CBA student to take the new real estate minor. You do have to sign the paperwork for a real estate minor with the Real Estate program director, Dr. Corcoran.

Like other CBA minor programs, the new Real Estate minor is designed to be open to non-CBA students. The minor requirements consist of a cluster of second year business courses in Accounting, Economics and Finance followed by four third year courses in the new Real Estate program. The Real Estate courses are described in the answer to question 2 below. The second year prerequisites for the minor are described in question 3.

Question 2: I'm a CBA senior and expect to graduate in May 2009. I'm an Accounting major. How would I do the new real estate minor?

Answer : You need to take FIN 335 (RE principles), FIN 336 (RE finance & investments), followed by TWO of BLR 330 (RE law), FIN 337 (RE appraisal/ valuation) or ECO 375 (economics of cities & regions). That's four courses altogether!

In addition, you need some second year prerequisites in Accounting, Economics, and Finance (see question 3). But most CBA students have already taken these in pursuing their major.

If you are graduating in May 2009, you have ample time to take the four core real estate courses for the minor. Talk to Dr. Corcoran, the Real Estate program Director, to help market your real estate minor in real life job interviews!!

Question 3: I am not enrolled in the College of Business Administration (CBA) but I am interested in the new real estate MINOR. What do the requirements for the new Real Estate Minor look like for me?

Answer : You have to take four Real Estate courses FIN 335 (principles), FIN 336 (RE Finance & Investments), and two of BLR 330, FIN 337, ECO 375.

In addition, you have to take some second year prerequisite courses. The table below shows the second year CBA prerequisites (for all students outside the CBA except Entrepreneurial Studies) and the corresponding course in Entrepreneurial Studies where credit is given:

CBA prerequisite ENT prerequisite

  • ACC 201(3) or ACC 250 (3) ACC 210 (3)
  • ACC 202(3) or ACC 255 (3) ACC 202 (3) or ACC 255 (3)
  • ECO 201 (3) or ECO 204 (3) ECO 213 (3)
  • FIN 302 (3) or FIN 332 (3) ENT 320 (3)

Question 4: The real estate courses are designated "FIN" courses in the Bulletin since the Real Estate program sits in the Finance & Law department. Suppose I am a CBA Finance major, and want to minor in real estate. Will my transcripts show the Real Estate minor separately from the Finance major?

Answer : Yes, the new Real Estate minor passed the Academic Senate, the final step of approval on the CMU campus, in October 2007. So, a CBA student who is a Finance major and also satisfies the requirements for the Real Estate minor will have both major and minor shown separately on their transcripts.

However, come and see Dr. Corcoran to be sure your paperwork has been processed correctly both for the Real Estate minor and by Undergraduate Academic Services.

Question 5 : I'm expecting to graduate in May 2009. I'm thinking about a real estate minor but I'm not sure about my interest level in real estate. What would you recommend?

Answer : I would recommend taking FIN 335 first and see how you like it. Subsequently, you could take FIN 336 and BLR 330 (or ECO 375) in the fall 2008 and FIN 337 in spring 2009.

Notice that the Real Estate minor is designed so that, provided you have already taken the second year prerequisite courses, you can complete the third year core courses in THREE semesters.

Question 6: I took the old FIN 230 in Fall 2006 or Spring 2007. Can I get credit for this course in the new Real Estate Minor?

Answer : If you took FIN 230 from Dr. Corcoran in either Fall 2006 or Spring 2007, you get full credit for the RE principles course - now called FIN 335. You do not have to take FIN 335.

However, if you took FIN 230 prior to Fall 2006, you do not get the credit for having taken FIN 335.