After submitting your online application, please download an Application Checklist
and mail it with all other required materials to CMU's College of Graduate Studies.
(1) International Student Applications (PDF) for Admission are due at least six months before the semester for which a student wishes to enroll. A $45 application fee is required.
(U.S. citizens and international applicants who are permanent residents of the U.S. should submit a Domestic Application for Admission (PDF), not an International Application.)
(2) Applicants must have all colleges and universities attended send official copies of all certificates, diplomas, degrees, and transcripts, as well as the corresponding number of certified literal English translations of any non-English documents to:
The College of Graduate Studies
100 Foust Hall
Central Michigan University
Mount Pleasant, Michigan 48859
(3) All prospective students must demonstrate proficiency in the English language. All prospective students must demonstrate competency in the English language in one of the following ways:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): A score of 500 PBT/61 IBT is required for conditional admission or 550 PBT/791 IBT for regular admission.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Acadmic Module: A score of 5.5 required for conditional admission or 6.5 for regular admission.
- Pearson Test of English, Academic Module: A score of 44 for conditional admission or 53 for regular admission.
- International Baccalaureate (IB): A grade of 5 in English at the Higher Level is required for regular admission.
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery(MELAB): A score of 69 is required for conditional
admission or 77 for regular admission.
- ELS Language Center Program: Completion of Level 112 for regular admission.
- ELI (CMU English Language Program): Successful ELI completion and recommendations for regular admission.
- English Language Programs: English Language Programs from outside CMU may be considered on an individual basis.
- English Language of Instruction (Received Baccalaureate Degree): Applicants whom have satisfactorily completed a baccalaureate degree where the language of instruction is English may also qualify for English Proficiency.
- English Language Proficiency Testing Exemptions (List of Exempt Countries): To view a list of English Language Proficiency Testing, Exempt Countries please go to www.grad.cmich.edu/toefl
International students must comply with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
regulations as well as with CMU regulations. Students should work closely with the International Admission Specialist in the College of Graduate Studies during the application process. Send e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
(5) Financial Support Form: If you are granted admission you will at that time need to submit a Financial Support Form to obtain a student visa. In order to speed up the process, you may send with your application materials a signed, completed CMU International Financial Support Form (if your funding is from a sponsor, be sure to complete the Affidavit of Support section on the form and have your sponsor sign it). To download the Financial Support Form, click here.
Keep in mind that not all overseas bachelor's degrees are equivalent to 4-year U.S. bachelor's degrees. Also, not all international students have the correct visa to be awarded graduate assistantships.
For visa information and other immigration questions, check with the Office of International Affairs.