​Graduate Transfer Credit Overview

Transferable Credit:

  • Graduate Certificate: maximum of 6 semester hours. Courses used on a previous graduate degrees or certificates may not be counted toward a graduate certificate.
  • Master's Degree: maximum of 50% of the semester hours (exception: maximum of 30 semester hours on the 54 credit hour joint master's degree in history are transferable).
  • Specialist's Degree: maximum of 12 semester hours beyond the master's degree if the master's degree was earned at CMU (exception: maximum of 8 semester hours beyond the master's degree if the degree was not earned at CMU).
  • Doctoral Degree: maximum of 50% of the post-baccalaureate semester hours. Minimum percentage that must be earned at CMU can vary among academic programs.
  • Maximum of 6 semester hours may only once be transferred from one earned degree program to another master’s or higher degree program.
  • Military coursework: coursework with a grade of outstanding or excellent is transferable.
Graduate transfer credits must be appropriate to the student's program, recommended by the student's academic advisor for use on the program plan, and approved by the Department Chair. Transfer credits are not considered in the computation of the student's graduate grade point average. Graduate transfer credit must meet the criteria outlined in the Graduate Bulletin.

Credit/No Credit (CR/NC)

Courses in which graduate student performance is evaluated CR/NC, rather than by a letter grade on the A through E scale, carry the designation “CR/NC only” in the departmental course descriptions. Optional registration for Credit/No Credit is available to graduate students who register in a course below the 500 level for undergraduate credit. Courses taken under this provision may not be applied to graduate certificate or degree requirements. Such optional registration for undergraduate credit is not available to students removing deficiencies specified in their admission. The courses for which graduate students may register for undergraduate credit on a CR/NC option basis must be designated in the Class Schedule by the department as available on a CR/NC option basis. Procedures for registration, grading, and recording are explained in the CMU undergraduate Bulletin under Credit/No Credit Policy.
CR indicates that the student has performed at a level equivalent to or above the grade point average for graduation (B grade) and shall receive credit in the course. NC indicates that the student has performed at a level lower than a B and shall not receive credit. In either case, the title and other course identification and the symbol CR or NC shall be entered on the student's transcript. CR and NC are not equated with qualitative letter grades, however, and are not included in computation of the student's grade point average.

Incomplete Grades (I)

An incomplete (I) is a temporary grade used by the instructor in cases when a student is unable to complete course requirements because of illness or other justifiable circumstances. It is assigned only in cases in which the student has completed satisfactorily the major portion of the course requirements, and has convinced the instructor of their ability to complete the remaining work without re-registering for the course. It is not to be given to a student who is already doing failing work. A form must be completed and signed by the faculty member (and the student when possible) whenever a grade of I is assigned. The form is to be kept on file in the departmental office. An instructor who assigns the grade of I also submits to the department chairperson a formal statement of requirements to be satisfied for removal of the Incomplete grade. A copy of the statement of requirements, including deadlines for their completion, shall be made available to the student.
It is the student's responsibility to contact the instructor to complete the remaining work. The required work should be completed and a grade reported by the end of the student's next semester in residence, but in no case later than one calendar year following the receipt of the grade of I. A student not completing the remaining work by the end of one calendar year following the receipt of an I would retain an I only if the instructor chooses not to change the I to a specific grade ranging from A to E by the end of the calendar year. A grade of I may not be removed by registering again for the course.
If the instructor of the class in which the grade of I was incurred is no longer a member of the faculty, then the student should contact the department chairperson, who shall act on behalf of the former instructor.
Exceptions to these regulations can be made only when requested by the student and approved by the instructor or the department chairperson and the dean of the college, and certified by the dean of the college to the registrar.

Deferred Grades

The Z (deferred grade) may be recorded for students registered for independent study, for thesis, International Program Studies courses, or for other courses specifically approved for Z grades in the Bulletin, if the instructor believes that the quality and quantity of work completed by the end of the semester justifies an extension of time. An instructor who assigns a grade of Z shall submit to the department chairperson, on the proper form, a statement of remaining requirements for removal of the deferred grade. A copy of the statement of requirements, including deadlines for their completion, shall be made available to the student.

Repeat Course Policy

To improve a grade previously earned at CMU, a student may repeat any course except an Independent Study course. The last grade and credit hours earned at CMU completely replace the previous grade and credit hours in computing the grade point average, although the earlier record remains a part of the student's transcript. A grade of A through E must be earned in a repeat course to replace the previous grade in computing the average.

Page 19 of 23