​Academic Advising

Graduate Students at CMU are assigned to a faculty member or Graduate Coordinator in their department for advising purposes.  Academic advisor information is included in admission letters from the College of Graduate Studies.  Graduate students should contact their academic advisor as soon as possible to discuss any pre-requisites, possible transfer credits, and begin the course registration process.

Academic Load

There is no minimum load requirement for graduate study however, the College of Graduate Studies considers a normal load for full-time resident study to be 9-12 graduate credit hours in the fall/spring se-mester and 4-6 graduate credit hours in a six-week summer session. Graduate students may not enroll for more than 15 graduate credits in the fall or spring semester, or in the two summer sessions combined. Exceptions to the limitation are automatic for programs that require more credits in a given semester. Other exceptions to the limitation require approval of the graduate advisor and the Dean of the College of Graduate Studies. Students that are recipients of U.S. government financial assistance should be aware there are requirements defining a minimum number of credit hours for status as a full-time graduate student.

Registration Procedures

Graduate students may register any time during the registration period via the Centrallink portal. Graduate students should register during the special computer time reserved for them. The procedures for registration - Phase I (course selection), Phase II (change of registration for a particular semester) are described in the Registrar area within Centrallink. Fall Registration: March to July and August; Spring Registration: October to November and January; Summer Registration: February to March and May and June. Before registering, students should verify that they meet prerequisites and consult their advisors before enrolling. Students with a “hold” on their account should contact the College of Graduate Studies.

Program Plans

Students pursuing a graduate certificate or master’s degree must complete an Authorization of Degree Program - Graduate form with their advisor.  Student’s pursuing a doctoral degree complete the Authorization of Degree Program - Doctoral form. These forms are the graduate student’s contract with the department that outlines the coursework, comprehensive exams, internship, thesis/doctoral project/dissertation/journal article, or other criteria a student must complete in order to earn his/her degree.  Changes to an authorized program must be made via the Course Substitution form.

Page 17 of 23