The master of public administration program with a specialization in nonprofit management prepares students for careers leading and managing nonprofit organizations. Students in this specialization work with experts in nonprofit management, gain global learning opportunities and often actively participate in public service projects sponsored by nonprofit organizations.
Research Opportunities and Assistantships
The program is one of the few MPA programs in the nation to have its own research entity, the Transnational Initiative on Governance Research and Education Network (TIGRE-Net), and regularly sends students to management simulations sponsored by the Seoul Metropolitan Government in South Korea and the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA).
The department offers teaching and graduate assistantships to students in the MPA program, as well as a multitude of scholarships and fellowships.
Admission to the MPA program requires:
- a bachelor's degree or equivalent;
- a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.8;
- completion of an undergraduate statistics, economics or research methods course;
- official transcripts showing all previous university course work;
- three letters of recommendation from former professors or public service professionals who can speak to your abilities and aptitudes;
- a current resume; and
- a two to three-page essay discussing your prior educational and work experiences and how an MPA degree will enhance your future plans.
Apply online at
The program emphasizes the mastery of public service competencies throughout the program with an emphasis on nonprofit management. This concentration has specific elective courses that must be successfully completed prior to graduation. Students will demonstrate their mastery of these competencies in the public service competencies course.
The program is accredited by the
Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, & Administration (NASPAA). NASPAA accreditation is the internationally recognized symbol of excellence in public administration education.