This 15-credit-hour certificate is designed for regularly admitted graduate students who desire advanced training in the field of public administration, but who are not seeking a master's degree at this time. Credits successfully earned with the certificate program can be transferred toward the MPA degree.
Research Opportunities and Assistantships
The program is one of the few MPA programs in the nation to have its own research entity, the Transnational Initiative on Governance Research and Education Network (TIGRE-Net), and regularly sends students to management simulations sponsored by the Seoul Metropolitan Government in South Korea and the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA).
The department offers teaching and graduate assistantships to students in the MPA program, as well as a multitude of scholarships and fellowships.
Admission to the MPA program requires:
- a bachelor's degree or equivalent;
- a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.8;
- completion of an undergraduate statistics, economics or research methods course;
- official transcripts showing all previous university coursework;
- three letters of recommendation from former professors or public service professionals who can speak to your abilities and aptitudes;
- a current resume; and
- a 2-3 page essay discussing your prior educational and work experiences and how an MPA degree will enhance your future plans.
Apply online at
The program emphasizes the mastery of public service competencies throughout the courses required in this certificate.
The program is accredited by the
Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA). NASPAA accreditation is the internationally recognized symbol of excellence in public administration education.