The Master of Public Health (MPH) program is a widely recognized professional credential for those seeking leadership and managerial positions in governmental, nonprofit, and private organizations in Public Health.
Through rigorous curriculum, research, and field practice, the MPH program at CMU prepares students to design culturally-responsive behavioral and social interventions to address health challenges affecting rural and underserved communities across the state of Michigan and the world.
Research Opportunities and Assistantships
Each year the MPH program awards a limited number of graduate assistantships to qualified students on a competitive basis. Graduate assistants receive a tuition waiver and a stipend as compensation. They work 20 hours per week for the department by assisting in faculty research and/or teaching activities. Assistantship applications are available from the department. Other awards and scholarships may be available through the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
Admission to the MPH program requires:
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent from an accredited university;
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0;
- GRE, GMAT, MCAT or other standardized graduate-level test scores; and
- For non-English speakers: demonstrated proficiency in English to be able to study and communicate in English
Apply online at
apply.cmich.edu. Students are admitted in the fall semester only.
To earn the MPH degree, students must complete a minimum of 47 credit hours as described below:
- Core Public Health courses (23 credits)
- Concentration required courses (15 credits)
- Approved elective courses relevant to the chosen concentration and individual career goals (3 credits or more)
- Grade of at least a B- (2.7) in each core of Public Health course and a GPA of at least 3.0 for all core courses combined that are applied to the MPH degree.
Public Health Field experience: 300 hours required (2 credits)
Culminating Experience (4 credits) consisting of either a thesis, research or program evaluation.
For More Information
Dr. Jeff Inungu
MPH Program Director
Health Professions Building 2209
Central Michigan University
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859
Or visit our website at