The student is normally notified of an admission decision 6 weeks after the completed application and supporting documents are received. This period is usually sufficient for receipt of transcripts and test results, and departmental review of the application. If transcripts or test results are delayed, the process will take longer. Questions regarding admissions should be directed to the Admissions Specialist in Applications Processing.

NOTE:  The above paragraph refers to admission to degree or certificate granting programs. There is no delay for admission as a non-degree student.

NOTE: Before course work can be started, a student must apply for and be admitted to a program or be admitted as a non-degree student. Courses taken as a non-degree student may or may not be counted toward a graduate degree program.

Letter of Admission

Applications Processing alone determines non-degree admission. Admission to a degree or certificate-granting program is always contingent upon departmental approval. All applications for degree or certificate-granting programs are sent by the graduate studies office to the appropriate departments. After a department evaluates the student's application and determines whether to recommend the student for admission, the department forwards its recommendation to Applications Processing.

Applications Processing either sends the student a letter of admission or denies admission, based on the department's recommendation.  The letter indicates the student's admission status: regular, conditional, non-degree, provisional, concurrent, or accelerated as a graduating senior.  International applicants are generally not considered for non-degree or concurrent admission.

NOTE: Only Applications Processing has the authority to admit graduate students. A letter of admission is valid for one year. If a student does not register for classes within one year after being admitted for graduate study, the student is required to reapply before taking classes.

Admissions Status

Students have one year to enroll in graduate course work after being admitted into the College of Graduate Studies, or their file becomes inactive and they can no longer register for classes. For additional information on admission status, see duration of admission status.