American Ghost Story
American Literature: Colonial to Early Federalist Period
American Literature survey, pt. I: Colonial period to the Civil War
Graduate Independent Study in Post-Structuralist Literary Theory
Graduate Seminar in American Realism
Graduate Seminar in American Romanticism
Graduate Seminar in American Magical Realism
Graduate Seminar in ‘Critical Problems’—“Ghosts, in Theory
Graduate Seminar on Critical Theory: Affects and Objects
Introduction to Literary Analysis
Introduction to Popular Culture
Introduction to Short Fiction, Poetry, Drama, and the Novel
Sex & Death: Gender Studies, Queer Theory, and the Gothic
Studies in Authors: Edgar Allan Poe
Studies in Authors: H. P. Lovecraft
Studies in Texts: Moby-Dick
Vampires in Film and Literature
Western Intellectual Tradition
Areas of Expertise:
- American Literature
- Literary and Critical Theory
- Cultural Studies and Approaches to Popular Culture
- The Gothic
Degrees and Universities:
The George Washington University - Ph.D., Program in the Human Sciences (1999)
The George Washington University - M.Phil., Program in the Human Sciences (1996)
The George Washington University - M.A. in American Literature (1995)
The University of Pennsylvania - Degree: B.A. in English (1992)
Honors and Recognitions:
- 2013 International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts Lord Ruthven Assembly award winner for Best Nonfiction Title: The Vampire Film: Undead Cinema
- 2012-2013 CMU President’s Award for Outstanding Research and Creative Activity
- Certificate of Congratulations for Extraordinary Research Productivity presented by the Provost and Dean of Libraries, Spring 2011
- CMU Honors Program “Professor of the Year” recipient, 2008-2009
- Sigma Tau Delta “Chip Off the Old Block” teaching award nominee, 2008-2009
- CMU "Alternative Assignment" internal grant recipient, spring semester 2009
- CMU senior faculty nominee for NEH Summer Stipend award, 2008
- College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences Excellence in Teaching Award winner, 2007-2008
- Provost’s Award for Outstanding Research and Creative Endeavor, 2006-2007
- CMU’s junior scholar nominee for the NEH Summer Stipend competition, 2006
- CMU’s junior scholar nominee for the NEH Summer Stipend competition, 2005
- Professional Development Grant for Scholarly and Creative Activity, CMU, 2004
- American Literature Association
- American Studies Association
- International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts
- International Gothic Association
- Modern Language Association
- Poe Studies Association
- Popular Culture Association
- The Works of Tim Burton: Margins to Mainstream. New York: Palgrave, 2013
- The Ashgate Encyclopedia of Literary Monsters. Farnham, UK: Ashgate, 2013.
- Vampires: Undead Cinema. New York: Columbia University Press, 2012.
- Charles Brockden Brown. Cardiff: University of Wales, 2011.
- Critical Approaches to the Films of M. Night Shyamalan: Spoiler Warnings. New York: Palgrave, 2010.
- Approaches to Teaching Poe’s Prose and Poetry. Co-edited with Anthony Magistrale. New York: Modern Language Association of America, 2009.
- Scare Tactics: Supernatural Fiction by American Women. New York: Fordham University Press, 2008.
- Reading Rocky: The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Popular Culture. New York: Palgrave 2008.
- Taking South Park Seriously. New York: SUNY Press, 2008.
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show. London: Wallflower Press, 2007.
- Spectral America: Phantoms and the American Imagination. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 2004.
- Nothing That Is: Millennial Cinema and the Blair Witch Controversies. Co-Edited with Sarah Higley. Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 2004.
- The Pedagogical Wallpaper: Teaching Charlotte Perkins Gilman’s “The Yellow Wall-paper.” Edited collection. New York: Peter Lang Publishers, Inc. 2003.
The Other Gods and More Unearthly Tales by H. P. Lovecraft. Edited by Jeffrey Andrew Weinstock. Barnes & Noble, 2010.
At the Mountains of Madness and Other Weird Tales by H. P. Lovecraft. Edited by Jeffrey Andrew Weinstock. Barnes & Noble 2009.
The Call of Cthulhu and Other Dark Tales by H. P. Lovecraft. Edited by Jeffrey Andrew Weinstock. Barnes & Noble May 2009.
Selected Journal Articles and Book Chapters
“The Queer Time of Lively Matter: The Polar Erotics of Harriet Prescott Spofford’s ‘The Moonstone Mass’.” Forthcoming Women’s Studies issue on the American Gothic.
"Bubba Ho-tep and the Seriously Silly Cult Film." Science Fiction Double Feature: The Science Fiction Film as Cult Text. Eds J. P. Telotte and Gerald Duchovnay. Forthcoming
Liverpool University Press, 2014.
“Sans Fangs: Theda Bara, A Fool There Was, and the Cinematic Vamp.” Dracula’s Daughters. Eds. Douglas Brode and Leah Deyneka. Forthcoming Scarecrow Press, 2014.
“American Monsters.” A Companion to the American Gothic. Ed. Charles L. Crow. Wiley-Blackwell, 2013.
“Gothic and the New American Republic, 1770-1800.” The Gothic World. Eds. Glennis Byron and Dale Townshend. U.K.: Routledge, 2013.
“Postmodernism with Sam Raimi (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Theory and Love Evil Dead).” Fear and Learning: Essays on the Pedagogy of Horror. Eds. Aalya Ahmad and Sean Moreland. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2013. 19-39.
“Charles Brockden Brown.” The Encyclopedia of the Gothic. Eds. David Punter, Andy Smith and Bill Hughes. Wiley-Blackwell January 2013. 83-90.
“Poe and the Magazine Prison House.” Edgar Allan Poe in Context. Editor Kevin Hayes. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012. 169-78.
“Edgar Allan Poe and the Undeath of the Author.” Adapting Poe: Re-Imaginings in Popular Culture. Eds. Dennis Perry and Carl Sederholm. Palgrave, 2012. 13-30.
“Maybe It Shouldn’t Be a
Party: Kids, Keds, and Death in Stephen King’s Stand By Me and Pet Sematary Reading the Films of Stephen King. Ed.
Anthony Magistrale. New York: Palgrave 2008.
“Queer Haunting Spaces:
Madeline Yale Wynne’s ‘The Little Room’ and Elia Wilkinson Peattie’s
‘The House That Was Not.’” American Literature 79.3 (Sept. 2007):
“Invisible Monsters: Vision, Horror, and Contemporary Culture.” The Ashgate Research Companion to Monsters and the Monstrous. Eds. Asa Mittman and Peter Dendle. London: Ashgate 2011. 275-89.
“The American Ghost Story.” A Companion to the American Short Story. Eds. Alfred Bendixen and James Nagel. Oxford: Blackwell, 2010. 408-24.
“Profaning the Sacred: Gothic Iconography and Subcultural Resistance.” Coverscaping: Discovering Album Aesthetics. Eds. Øyvind Vågnes & Asbjørn Grønstad. Copenhagen:
Museum Tusculanum Press, 2010. 163-78.
“Queer Specters of Rose Terry Cooke and Elizabeth Stuart Phelps Ward.” Death Becomes Her: Cultural Narratives of Femininity and Death in Nineteenth-Century America. Eds.
Elizabeth Dill and Sheri Weinstein. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2008. 109-30.
“Female-Authored Gothic Tales in the Nineteenth-Century Popular Press.” Popular Nineteenth-Century American Women Writers and the Literary Marketplace. Eds. Earl Yarington and Mary De Jong. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Press, 2008. 74-96.