The M.A. in English: Composition & Communication centers on theory and practice in nonfiction
forms of writing. The flexible program accommodates future and current teachers, essayists,
nonfictionists, professional writers and editors, and doctoral candidates in rhetoric and composition.
Here's what we can offer you:
- 24 hours of course work plus 6 hours of thesis or internship.
- 3 Core Courses: Graduate Composition, Seminar in Rhetoric and Composition, and Seminar in Textual Analysis and Editing.
- Teaching internships or professional communication internships.
- Small class sizes allowing for individualized attention.
- Classes at convenient times for working adults.
- Two state-of-the-art computer labs available for both class and individual work.
- Professional development opportunities, e.g., conference presentations, workshops, etc.
- English Graduate Students organization offering symposiums and social events.
Your Career Opportunities
- Consultant, editor, and/or writer in professional, technical, and academic fields.
- Professional writer for literary journals, popular magazines, trade publications, etc.
- Composition teacher in community colleges and junior colleges.
- Preparation for doctoral programs in rhetoric and composition, technical/professional
writing, English education, etc.
Many of our courses meet in the English Department computer labs,
and soon more will be offered online and in hybrid formats.
Central Michigan University has been consistently ranked among the Top 10 Midwest Regional
Public Universities by U.S. News & World Report.
CMU is located in Mt. Pleasant MI, just an hour north of the state capitol of Lansing. We're also
just 2 1/2 hours from Detroit, and 4 hours from Chicago.
To find out more about Central Michigan University, check out the CMU Home Page.
questions or comments about this web site. Copyright © 2000, CMU.