Advisor Name: Dr. Nicole Sparling
About of Sigma Tau Delta
Sigma Tau Delta is the International English Honor Society. A member of the Association of College Honor Societies, it was founded in 1924 at Dakota Wesleyan University.
The Society strives to:
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies;
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
- Serve society by fostering literacy.
With over 750 active chapters located in Europe, the Caribbean, and the United States, there are more than 1,000 faculty sponsors, and approximately 8,500 members inducted annually.
Sigma Tau Delta's central purpose is to confer distinction upon students of the English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies. Sigma Tau Delta also recognizes the accomplishments of professional writers who have contributed to the fields of language and literature.
Sigma Tau Delta is also the proud sponsor of The National English Honor Society (NEHS). NEHS, a program of Sigma Tau Delta, serves students and faculty in high schools throughout the country and provides an outreach to thousands of students and faculty who share a commitment to excellence in English language arts.
Information on Sigma Tau Delta taken directly from http://www.english.org
How to Become a Member of the CMU ChapterEligibility
How to Apply
- Be an undergraduate or graduate student currently enrolled at Central Michigan University.
- Be an English Major or Minor.
- Must be in at least your third semester of college and complete at least 2 courses of English Language and Literature beyond Freshman Composition (ENG 101).
- Read the prerequisites and rights of Student Membership.
- Pick up an application from the Sigma Tau Delta Mailbox outside the English Department (2nd Floor Anspach Hall), from a Sigma Tau Delta Officer or Advisor, or email email@example.com.
- Turn in application with membership fee of $50.00 to Sigma Tau Delta mailbox or Officer.
Want more info on Sigma Tau Delta?