Scholarships for French Study
Gilles Labrie Scholarship:
This scholarship was established in 2006 by John G. Labrie ('89) in honor of his father Gilles Labrie, professor of Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Cultures at CMU. Income from the endowment will support a renewable scholarship.
- Recipient must be a full-time CMU sophomore, junior, or senior
- Recipient must have a signed major in French
- Recipient must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
Jacques E. & Helen M. Baer Perry Scholarship:
This scholarship was established in 1988 by Jacques E. Perry (Class of 1949) and Helen M. Baer Perry (1950), for a junior or senior majoring in foreign language who a has a 3.0 or higher GPA. The applicants should be able to clearly articulate in an essay the role that foreign language studies play in their future career.
- Recipient must be a CMU junior or senior
- Recipient must be a French, German, or Spanish major with an overall and language-specific GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Students cannot receive the scholarship more than once.
For Students Studying More Than One Language
Eric H. Kadler Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 2005 by Dr. Eric H. Kadler, former Professor of French and Chair of the Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures and Cultures at Central Michigan University. He was born in Czechoslovakia and spoke several languages. With this scholarship, he particularly wanted to support students who are studying more than one foreign language.
- Recipient must study in a country where French, German, or Spanish is the official language
- Recipient must have junior or senior standing at CMU and be French, German, or Spanish majors while pursuing a second major or minor in another foreign language
- Recipient should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in their major and an overall GPA of 2.7 or higher
Scholarships for French Study Abroad
CMU & UQAC Scholarships for Study in Québec:
Edana DuGuay Scholarship for French Study Abroad:
CMU and the University of Quebec at Chicoutimi offer a $600 grant for study during the 5-week spring or summer immersion programs in any Francophone country.
This scholarship was established in 1986 by the Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures, and Cultures in honor of Dr. Edana DuGuay, former professor of French, for a student majoring in French for the purpose of studying abroad. The award is given on a competitive basis to a junior or senior of high academic standing.
FLLC/CHSBS Study Abroad Grant
This grant is given out in the fall and spring semester for students in French, German, Spanish, and Japanese, who wish to study abroad in their respective language program. This is a competitive grant based on academic merit and financial need.
FLLC/CHSBS SUMMER Study Abroad Grant: For students studying French abroad.
Click here to download the Scholarship Application Form FOR ALL SCHOLARSHIPS