The Little Traverse Historical Socity was established in 1905 and, 1969, it was incorporated as a non-profit organization, "To preserve, advance and disseminate knowledge of the history of the Little Traverse Bay Area." To this end, and with the support of members and winter and summer residents, they acquired and restored the abandoned Chicago and West Michigan Railroad depot. Originally built in 1892 to accommodate the large influx of summer resorters, the depot now serves the area as The Little Traverse History Museum. The museum houses the historical society's archives, long term displays, and an annual new summer display. It is also the site of ongoing programs. Currently, the museum is only open during the summer season (Memorial Day - mid October).
Little Traverse Historical Society
100 Depot Court
PO Box 2418
Petoskey, MI 49770