Associate Professor of PhilosophyCentral Michigan University
Department of Philosophy & Religion
Campus Address: Anspach 305A
Telephone: (989) 774-3570
B. Litt., Oxford University, 1970
Moral Problems, Business Ethics, Philosophy of Mind, Foundations of Cognitive Science
Philosophy of Mind, Cognitive Science, Philosophy of Music, Personal Identity
A new edition of
Hume’s Treatise of Human Nature, co-edited with R. Stecker and J. Wright (London, 2003)
John Locke: An Essay Concerning Human Understanding in Focus, co-edited with J. Wright and R. Stecker (Routledge, 2000)
- “Empty Names and Pragmatic Implications,“ (with Fred Adams)
Canadian Journal of Philosophy Vol. 37, No. 3 (Fall 2007): 449-462.
- “Bonjour's A Priori Justification of Induction,“ (with John Meixner) Contributions of the Austrian Wittgenstein Society (2003).
- “Personal Identity,”
Reflections (Longman, 2002).
- “Understanding Persons by Mental Simulation,”
Appraisal (England, 2002).
- “The Semantics of Fictional Names,” (with R. Adams and B. Stecker) Pacific Philosophical Quarterly (1997).
- “Simulation and Psychological Concepts,” Davies and Stone, eds.,
Mental Simulation (Blackwell, 1995).
- “Survival and Teleportation,”
Becoming Persons (England, 1995).
- “The Semantics of Thought,” (with Adams and Stecker) Pacific Philosophical Quarterly (1992).
- “A Critique of Dennett,” (with Yu)
- “Reductionism and Empathy,”
Southern Journal of Philosophy (1978).
Honors Teacher of the Year, 2005 (with Peter Koper)