- Ph.D., Temple University, 1990
- M.A., University of Pittsburgh, 1980
- B.A., Temple University, 1977
Areas of Teaching Expertise
- Cultural Anthropology
- Sociology of Aging
- History of Anthropology Theory
- Sociology of Health and Illness
- Medical Anthropology
- Medical Anthropology
- Critical Perspectives
- Political Economy
- Dementia and Institutionalization
- Community Mental Health
- Oral History
- Social Movements
- Greek Diaspora
- "Learn to Value Your Shadow!" An Introduction to the Margins of Fieldwork. (with Annette Leibing). In The Shadow Side of Field Work: Theorizing the Blurred Borders between Ethnography and Life, edited by Athena McLean and Annette Leibing, pp. 1-28. Blackwell Publishing, Malden, MA. 2007.
- "When the Borders of Research and Personal Life become Blurred: Thorny Issues In Conducting Dementia Research." In The Shadow Side of Field Work: Theorizing the Blurred Borders between Ethnography and Life, edited by Athena McLean and Annette Leibing, pp. 262-287. Blackwell Publishing, Malden, MA. 2007.
- "Dementia Care as a Moral Enterprise: A Call for a Return to the Sanctity of Lived Time." Alzheimer's Care Today (formerly, Alzheimer's Care Quarterly). 8(4):360-372, 2007.
- "The Therapeutic Landscape of Dementia Care: Intersubjective Aspects in the Sustenance of the Person." In Therapeutic Landscapes: Advances and Application, edited by Allison Williams, pp. 315-332. Ashgate Press, Hampshire. 2007.
- The Person in Dementia: A Study of Nursing Home Care in the U.S. Broadview Press, Toronto, 2007.
- "From Commodity to Community: An Impossibility?" Forum. Ageing and Society 26: 925-937.
- Book review of Autobiographical Writing Across the Disciplines: A Reader, edited by Diane Freedmand and Olivia Frey, for publication in Anthropology and Education Quarterly, forthcoming, Volume 36.4, December 2005.
- "Coherence Without Facticity in Dementia: the Curious Case of Ms. Fine." Accepted for Thinking About Dementia: Culture, Loss and the Anthropology of Senility, edited by Annette Leibing (McGill) and Lawrence Cohen (Berkeley), Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2004.
- "Recovering Consumers and a broken mental health system in the United States: Ongoing Challenges for Consumers/Survivors and the New Freedom Commission on Mental Health", International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation, Volume 8: 53-76.
- "Power in the Nursing Home: The Case of a Special Care Unit," Medical Anthropology 19: 223-257, 2001.