- Ph.D., Sociology and Criminology & Law, University of Florida, 2009
- M.S., Criminal Justice, Michigan State University, 2005
- B.A., Social Psychology/Criminal Justice (Magna Cum Laude), Western Michigan University, 2002
- AA., Theatre, Lake Michigan Community College, 2000
Areas of Teaching Expertise
- Gender, Race and Crime
- Media's Influence on the Criminal Justice system
- Gender and Racial Inequalities in the Criminal Justice System The CSI Effect Victimology
- Hayes, R.M., Dathorne, S., & Taylor, C. (2016). Silent no more: A qualitative examination of sexual violence in St. Lucia. International Journal of Rural Criminology, 3(1), 92-105.
- Hayes, R.M., Abbott, R.M. & Cook, S. (2016). It's her fault: Students drinking behavior and acceptance of rape myths from two college campuses. Violence Against Women, online.
- Smith, J.M. & Hayes, R.M. (2016). Integrating philosophy, sociology, and dialogue-based instruction in the Social and Criminal Justice classroom. Contemporary Justice Review, 1, 3-18.
- Whaley, R.B., Hayes-Smith, R.M., & Hayes-Smith, J.M. (2014) "Differential reactions to school bonds, peers, and victimization in the case of adolescent substance use: The moderating effect of gender." Crime and Delinquency, online.
- Richards, T.N., Branch, K.A., & Hayes, R.M. (2013). An exploratory examination of college student to professor disclosures of crime victimization. Violence Against Women, online.
- Whaley, R.B., Hayes-Smith, J.M., & Hayes-Smith, R.M. (2013). Gendered pathways? Gender, mediating factors, and the gap in boys' and girls' substance use." Crime and Delinquency, 59(5), 651-659.
- Krivoshey, M.S., Adkins, R., Hayes, R.M., Nemeth, J.M., & Klein, E.G. (2013). Sexual Assault Reporting Procedures at Ohio Colleges. Journal of American College Health, 61(3).
- Hayes, R.M., Lorenz, K., Bell, K. (2013). Victim blaming others: Rape myth acceptance and the just world belief. Feminist Criminology, 8, 202-220.