Students considering the Bachelor of Social Work degree are encouraged to:
- Take SWK 100 to learn more about the profession. This will also help you start the process for admission and explore your interests in social work.
- Meet with one of our social work advisors. These advisors will assist you with social work admission and related experience requirements, course sequencing and pre-requisites, and signing a major. To schedule an advising appointment, call 989-774-2690.
More information about the profession is also available at www.socialworkers.org.
Current CMU students typically apply in the spring with applications due the first Friday in March.
Transfer students should contact the social work office at least one semester prior to transferring.
All students should contact a social work advisor to determine which semester to apply to the program and the appropriate cohort.
The application checklist provides an overview of the admission process, including application deadlines and admission requirements.
The following items are submitted as part of the application (these forms are also available through your advisor):
IMPORTANT: First, download and save the selected form to your device. Then, open the form on your device using the Adobe Reader application. By following these steps, you should be able to save the documents with comments. If you have questions about the forms, contact the Social Work Program office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 989-774-2690.
The following is a partial list of requirements for admission to the program. Please check the current
bulletin for a complete list of admission requirements, including grade requirements.
Requirements to be completed by the end of the semester in which the student applies:
- 50 credits with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better.
- A minimum of 12 credits of major courses with a major GPA of 2.7 or better and no grade below a C in any required major course.
- SWK 100 with a B or better.
- SWK 250 with a B- or better.
- It is recommended that students complete SOC 200 or its equivalent.
- Math, Freshman Composition and Oral English Competencies with a C or better in each.
- A minimum of 50 hours of approved social work related experience (volunteer or paid).