The Department of World Languages and Cultures offers various scholarship opportunities to students. In order to apply for one or several of these scholarship please follow the instruction on our overall application form. All scholarships in the department are due at the same deadline each semester. Please read the requirements of each scholarship carefully, since they differ. Not all scholarships are for study abroad only.
- For Study Abroad in the Spring Semester: October 15
- For Study Abroad in the Summer or Fall: March 1
FLLC/CHSBS Study Abroad Grant
This scholarship is awarded in the fall and spring semester for students in French, German, Japanese and Spanish, who wish to study abroad in their respective language program. This is a competitive grant based on academic merit and financial need. This grant applies to semester-long study abroad programs in both fall and spring, as well as summer programs.
Jacques E. & Helen M. Baer Perry Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 1988 by Jacques E. Perry (CMU Class of 1949) and Helen (Holly) M. Baer Perry (CMU Class of 1950). They met in foreign language classes at CMU in 1946, loved learning and teaching French and Spanish. Holly received a four-year scholarship to attend CMU and Jacques often made use of the Small Loan Fund. In gratitude for the financial help they had both received as students, Helen and Jacques established a scholarship for foreign language students who are in their third or fourth year and are dedicated to the foreign language(s) as their life's work. This scholarship benefits majors of French, German and Spanish and can be applied towards study abroad.
- Recipient must be a CMU junior or senior
- Recipient must be a French, German, or Spanish major with an overall and language-specific GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Students cannot receive the scholarship more than once
Note: This scholarship is awarded only in the spring semester (March 1st deadline).
Eric H. Kadler Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 2005 by Dr. Eric H. Kadler, former Professor of French and Chair of the Department of World Languages and Cultures at Central Michigan University. He was born in Czechoslovakia and spoke several languages. With this scholarship, he particularly wanted to support students who are studying more than one foreign language.
- Recipient must study in a country where French, German, or Spanish is the official language
- Recipient must have junior or senior standing at CMU and be a French, German, or Spanish major while also pursuing a second major or minor in another foreign language
- Recipient should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in their major and an overall GPA of 2.7 or higher
Additional Scholarships by Language
Follow the links below to view additional scholarship opportunities specific to each of the following languages: