This 16-18 credit hour certificate is designed for undergraduate students who desire to gain greater competency in their understanding of cultures and people and whose social identities are different from the students’ own. The certificate will also help students to understand and articulate the benefits of diversity for everyone and to interact effectively with people from diverse cultures and social groups.
16-18 hours chosen from the following:
Required courses I (6 hours):
CGL 145 Racism and Discrimination in America through Dialogue 3(3-0)
SOC 323 Racism and Inequality 3(3-0)
Required courses II (3 hours):
Choose one of the following:
ANT/SOC 506 Comparative Cultural Systems 3(3-0)
COM 195 Intercultural Communication 3(3-0)
HSC 532 Diversity Issues in the Health Professions 3(3-0)
JRN 372 International and Cross-cultural Mass Communications 3(3-0)
MGT 365 International Business 3(3-0)
MKT 560 International Marketing 3(3-0)
PSY 533 Psychology of Racism 3(3-0)
SPE 550 Teaching Culturally Diverse Students 3(3-0)
Another course focusing on diversity in a career-related field may be substituted with a Cultural and Global Studies advisor’s approval.
Elective courses Option A—with language elective (7 hours)
1. Cultures within the United States (3 hours)
Choose 3 hours from courses in UP Group IV-C. One 3-hour non-UP course on cultures within the United States may be substituted with permission of advisor.
2. Global cultures outside the United States (4 hours)
Choose one language course.
Elective courses Option B—without language elective (9 hours)
1. Cultures within the United States (3-6 hours)
Choose 3-6 hours from courses in UP Group IV-C
One 3-hour non-UP course on cultures within the United States may be substituted with permission of advisor.
2. Global Cultures outside the United States (3-6 hours)
Choose 3-6 hours from courses in UP Group IV-B focusing on regions and topics outside the United States except language courses, which may not be included in Option B of the certificate program.
- One 3-hour non-UP course on global cultures may be substituted with permission of advisor.
- Students pursuing this certificate may also complete 3 hours of independent readings or research in an appropriate discipline as an elective option with the approval of the advisor.
Total 16-18 hours