Questions That Matter
Critical Engagements: Questions That Matter is a collaborative project that makes the academic mission of Central Michigan University concrete by highlighting how our college and university are tackling the world’s most pressing and difficult questions.
Working with community partners, we identify a common annual theme or “wicked problem,” recruit people and teams who work in and around the theme at CMU and beyond, and support investigations that reflect the depth and breadth of a research university committed to the highest standards of scholarship and engagement.
Fake News (2019–2020)
The theme for the 2019–2020 academic year is Fake News: What Do We Know and How Do We Know It?
- Journalism and the news: The past, present, and future of a free press and its consumers
- Science and its methods in the face of scrutiny from within and without
- Social science and the “replication crisis”
- Rhetoric, propaganda, and persuasion
- Epistemology: Philosophical approaches to knowledge from antiquity to postmodernism
- Experts, credentials, and conspiracy theories