- Technical writing
- Technical editing
- Document design
- Expository writing & argumentation
- Technology and the teaching of writing
- Empirical Research Methods in English studies
- Rhetoric and composition theory and pedagogy (including online pedagogy)
Areas of Expertise
- Rhetoric & composition
- Business & technical communication
- Writing in the disciplines/professions
- Editing & publishing
- Empirical research methods in English.
Degrees and Universities
- B.A. in Philosophy, Hendrix College (1983)
- M.A. in Technical & Expository Writing, University of Arkansas at Little Rock (1993)
- Ph.D. in Rhetoric & Composition (with specializations in business & technical communication, writing in the disciplines, and writing across the curriculum)
Kreth, M., and Bowen, E. (2017, Sep.). A descriptive survey of technical editors.
IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, 60(3), 238-55. doi10.1109/TPC.2017.2702039.
Brockman, E., Taylor, M., Kreth, M., and Crawford, M.A. (2011, Jan.). What do professors really say about college writing?
English Journal, 100 (3), 75-81.
Kreth, M., Crawford, M.A., Taylor, M., & Brockman, E. (2010, Apr.). Situated assessment: Limitations and promise.
Assessing Writing, 15 (1), 40-59. doi10.1016/j.asw.2010.03.001.
Brockman, E., Taylor, M., Crawford, M.A., & Kreth, M. (2010, Jan.). Helping students across the threshold: Implications from a university writing assessment.
English Journal, 99 (3), 42-49.
Moore, P., & Kreth, M. (2005, Aug.). From wordsmith to communication strategist: Heresthetic and political maneuvering in technical communication. Technical Communication, 52 (3), 302-322.
Kreth, M. L. (2005, Mar.). A small-scale client project for business writing students: Developing a guide for first-time home buyers.
Business Communication Quarterly, 68 (1), 52-59.
Kreth, M. L. (2001, Spr.). Comments on and addenda to Holdstein's WAC paradoxes.
Pedagogy, 1 (2), 287-95.
Kreth, M. L. (2000, Dec.). Review of The Cluetrain Manifesto. Business Communication Quarterly, 63 (4), 106-10.
Kreth, M. L. (2000, Sept.). Exploring 'responsibility' in advertising: Health claims about dietary supplements. Business Communication Quarterly, 63 (3), 66-72.
Kreth, M.L. (2000, Jun.). A survey of the co-op writing experiences of recent engineering graduates.
IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, 43, 137-52.
Kreth, M. L. (1996, Oct.). Comments on 'Instrumental discourse is as humanistic as rhetoric'. Journal of Business and Technical Communication, 10 (4), 476-82.
Kreth, M. (1996, Fall). Technical writing and scientific writing: 'They're two different things . . . aren't they?'
Association of Teachers of Technical Writing Bulletin, 3-4.
Nine entries for the College Composition & Communication Bibliography of Rhetoric and Composition, 1998.
- Association of Teachers of Technical Writing
- National Council of Teachers of English
- IEEE Professional Communication Society
Awards and Honors
Winner (with co-author Patrick Moore) of the annual Frank R. Smith Outstanding Article Award from the Society for Technical Communication for "From Wordsmith to Communication Strategist: Heresthetic and Political Maneuvering in Technical Communication" (Technical Communication 52.3, August 2005: 302-22).