The Michigan Historical Review
announces their competition for the 2021
Graduate Student Essay Prize
Earn a cash prize of $1,000 and get your work published!
Have your scholarship published in the
MHR after a blind review by a panel of professional historians in addition to the cash award.
- Graduate student essays must be on the history of Michigan, the Great Lakes region, or their peoples. We welcome topics on American, Canadian, and Midwest history that explore themes related to Michigan's past.
- Essays must include significant original research in primary sources and represent an addition to historical knowledge. They will be judged based on originality, research, writing style, and proper documentation.
- Manuscripts should be 10,000-15,000 words in length, double-spaced and footnoted in Chicago Style. To permit anonymous reviewing the author's name should not appear in the manuscript.
- The winning essay's author will receive $500 immediately and an additional $500 once the article is ready for publication. Winning authors will be required to complete direct deposit forms. Strong essays that do not win may receive editorial advice and encouragement for publication.
- Submit your essay and a cover letter identifying your school, program, and the paper's supervisor before
July 1, 2021.
See the flyer here:
MHR Student Essay Flyer 2021
Send submissions to: