Professor of PhilosophyCentral Michigan University
Department of Philosophy & Religion
Campus Address: Anspach 122
Telephone: (989) 774-7103
Ph.D., MIT, 1975
Introduction to Philosophy, Moral Problems, Philosophy In Literature, Philosophy of Language, Philosophy of the Arts
Aesthetics, Philosophy of Literature, Philosophy of Language, Ethics, History of Modern Philosophy
Current Research Projects:
The interaction of ethical and aesthetic value
- Aesthetics and Philosophy of Art, (Roman & Littlefield, 2005).
- Interpretation and Construction: Art Speech and the Law, (Blackwell, 2003).
- Artworks: Definition, Meaning, Value (Pennsylvania, 1997)
- A new edition of Hume’s
Treatise of Human Nature, co edited with J. Wright and G. Fuller (London, 2003).
- John Locke: An Essay Concerning Human Understanding in Focus, co edited with J. Wright and G. Fuller (Routledge, 2000)
- “Aesthetic Experience and Aesthetic Value,” Philosophy Compass (2006).
- “Philosophy of Literature” and “Ontology of Art,” Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Macmillan, 2006).
- “Aesthetics and Culture,” Concepts of Culture (University of Calgary Press, 2005).
- “Interpretation and the Problem of the Relevant Intention,” Contemporary Debates in Aesthetics (Blackwell, 2005).
- “The Interaction of Aesthetic and Ethical Value,” British Journal of Aesthetics (2005).
- “The Ontology of Art Interpretation,” Art and Essence (Greenwood Press, 2003).
- “Definition of Art” and “Value in Art,” Oxford Handbook of Aesthetics (Oxford, 2003).
- CMU President’s Award for Outstanding Research and Creative Activity, 1998
- CMU Research Professor, 1999
- Michigan Association of Governing Boards Distinguished Faculty Award, 2000