Central Michigan University ICMA Student Chapter
What is ICMA?
ICMA: Leaders at the Core of Better Communities
Founded in 1914, ICMA, the International City/County Management Association, advances professional local government through leadership, management, innovation, and ethics. Its vision is to be the leading professional association dedicated to creating and supporting thriving communities throughout the world. ICMA's members are the professional city, town, and county managers who are appointed by elected officials to oversee the day-to-day operation of our communities.
Why Careers in Government?
Why Should You Consider Careers in Government?
- As a civil service professional, you can
lead positive changes to improve the quality of life for people. Local government managers are greatly involved in their communities, interacting with citizens and listening to their voice. As a leader at the local level, you can make your community a better place.
The government and citizens need a new generation of talented leaders like you.According to the U.S. Government Accountability Office, about 35% of federal employees will be eligible to retire by 2020. Workforce aging is also true for state and local governments. With the coming retirement tsunami, government agencies need young professionals like you to bring their passion, creativity, and talents to government and become a leader for positive changes to our society.
- While achieving your commitment to the betterment of people’s lives, you can also enjoy strong job security and a strong compensation. Contrary to the general belief, state and local government workers make stronger compensations than their private counterparts. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics released in September 2017, the average compensation for state and local employees is $48.06 per hour, while the average compensation for private industry workers is $33.26 per hour.
What is the CMU ICMA Student Chapter?
CMU ICMA Student Chapter: Cultivating Local Government Leaders of Tomorrow
The purposes of CMU ICMA Student Chapter are to:
- encourage student scholarship and activity in the professional management of local public services;
- promote and support innovative student explorations of the ways public services are delivered and managed in local communities; and
- foster student appreciation for integrity and creative performance in the management of local governmental and related public service activities.
- Membership is FREE when you join the ICMA through the CMU Student Chapter!
- Free registration for ICMA’s Annual Conference
- Connect with local government professionals to help you land your first job.
- Network with your colleagues through the Who’s Who, an excellent network tool.
- Access to the ICMA Job Center, a one-stop shop for local government job searching!
- Access to exclusive member-only files and content such as the Management Internships resource.
- Access to online webinars, podcasts, case studies, reports, newsletter, and more.
Join the Chapter
Passionate about serving others? Interested in government careers? Join the CMU ICMA Chapter today! To join us, contact Dr. So Hee Jeon at