Sociology: Youth Studies Adviser
- Ph.D., Indiana University, Bloomington, 1990
- M.A., Bowling Green State University, 1984
- B.A., Bowling Green State University, 1982
Areas of Teaching expertise
- Research Methods
- Sociology of Education
- Sociology of Adolescence
- Capstone Experience in Youth Studies
- Childhood and Adolescent Socialization
- Youth Culture
- Race and Ethnicity
- Herman-Kinney, Nancy J. & David A. Kinney. 2013. "Sober as Deviant: The stigma of sobriety and how some college students 'stay dry' on a 'wet' campus. Journal of Contemporary Ethnography 42: 64-103.
- Kinney, David A. & Loretta E. Bass. 2011 (Volume 14). Sociological Studies of Children and Youth: The Well-Being, Peer Cultures and Rights of Children. Emerald Publishing Group, Inc., United Kingdom.
- Hofferth, Sandra L., David A. Kinney & Dunn, Janet S. 2009. "The 'Hurried Child:' Myth vs. Reality." Chapter 13 in In Life Balance: Multidisciplinary research and theories. Edited by K. Matuska, C. Christianssen, and H. Polatajko (Edit Bethesda, Md: AOTA Press: Bethesda, MD and Slack, Inc.: Thorofare, NJ.
- Kinney, David A. 2007. "Peer Groups and Peer Culture." Pp. 307-317 in The Praeger Handbook of American High Schools, Volume 2. Kathryn M. Borman, Spencer E. Cahill, and Bridget a Cotner, (Eds.). London: Praeger.
- Rosier, Katherine Brown and David A. Kinney. 2005. "Historical and Contemporary Pressures on Children's Freedom. Pp. 1-20 in David A. Kinney and Katherine Brown Rosier (Series Co-Editors), Sociological Studies of Children and Youth, Volume 11. Oxford, England: JAI: An Official Imprint of Elsevier.
- Dunn, Janet S., Kinney, David A., & Hofferth, Sandra L. 2003. "Parental Ideologies and Children's After-School Activities." American Behavioral Scientist. 46(10):1359-1386.
- Kinney, David A., Rosier, Katherine Brown, and Harger, Brent D. 2003. "Education." Pp. 575-599 in Handbook of Symbolic Interactionism. Larry T. Reynolds and Nancy J. Herman (Eds.). Walnut Creek, CA: Altamira Press: A Division of Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
- Kinney, David A. 1999. "From 'Headbangers' to 'Hippies:' Delineating Adolescents' Active Attempts to Form an Alternative Peer Culture." Pp. 21-36 in The Role of Peer Group Stability and Change in Adolescent Social Identity. New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development. Number 84. J. McLellan & M.J. Pugh (Eds.) San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Eder, Donna and Kinney, David A. 1995. "The Effect of Middle School Extracurricular Activities on Adolescents' Popularity and Peer Status." Youth and Society (26(3): 298-324.
- Kinney, David A. 1993. "From 'Nerds' to 'Normals': The Recovery of Identity among Adolescents from Middle School to High School." Sociology of Education 66 (January):21-40.