Anspach Hall 128
Office Hours: Tuesday & Thursday 11:15-12:15 pm
- Ph.D., Sociology, Indiana University-Bloomington, 2006
- M.A., Sociology, Indiana University-Bloomington, 2001
- B.S., Sociology, University of California, Riverside, 1997
Areas of Teaching Expertise
- Sociology of Health
- Youth Studies
- Social Statistics
- Research examining the health and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer populations.
- Almazan, Elbert P. 2019. "Are Black Sexual Minority Adults More Likely to Report Higher Levels of Psychological Distress than White Sexual Minority Adults? Findings from the 2013-2017 National Health Interview Survey."
Social Sciences 8(1): Article 14.
- Almazan, Elbert P. 2019. "The Association between Sexual Orientation and Sleep Problems: Are there Racial and Ethnic Differences?"
Clocks & Sleep 1(2): 220-225.
- Drevon, Daniel D., Elbert P. Almazan, Susan Jacob, and Katrina N. Rhymer. 2016. "Impact of Mentors during Adolescence on Outcomes of Gay Young Adults."
Journal of Homosexuality 63(6): 821-837.
Sevecke, Jessica R, Katrina N. Rhymer, Elbert P. Almazan, and Susan Jacob. 2015. "Effects of Interaction Experiences and Undergraduate Coursework on Attitudes toward Gay and Lesbian Issues."
Journal of Homosexuality 62(6): 821-840.
Almazan, Elbert P., Michael E. Roettger, and Pauline S. Acosta. 2014. "Measures of Sexual Minority Status and Suicide Risk among Young Adults in the United States."
Archives of Suicide Research 18(3): 274-281.
Tyler, Kimberly A., Lisa A. Melander, and Elbert P. Almazan. 2010. "Self-Injurious Behavior Among Homeless Young Adults: A Social Stress Analysis." Social Science & Medicine 70(2): 269-276.
McLeod, Jane D., and Elbert P. Almazan. 2003. "Connections Between Childhood and Adulthood." Pp. 391-411 in
Handbook of the Life Course, eds. Jeylan Mortimer and Michael Shanahan. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers.