The following scholarships and awards are available to students studying Spanish abroad:
Spanish Study Abroad Scholarships
- Elizabeth Etnire Scholarship: This scholarship was established in 1988 in honor of Elizabeth Etnire, former CMU Spanish professor, advisor and department chairperson. Recipients will be Study Abroad Spanish majors and minors with preference going to those student who express interest in teaching.
- Nancy & Ted Kortes Scholarship: This scholarship was established in 1993 for students studying in Spain or Latin America. Recipients must have a signed major or minor in Spanish and maintain at least a 3.0 GPA in Spanish classes.
- Moreno Family Scholarship: This scholarship was established by CMU alumna Esther Moreno-Kulhavi in honor of her parents. It is awarded to Spanish majors who have an overall 2.5 GPA for study in Latin America. (awarded as funding is available)
Scholarships for Spanish, German or French majors
Jacques E. & Helen M. Baer Perry Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 1988 by Jacques E. Perry (Class of 1949) and Helen M. Baer Perry (Class of 1950) for a junior or senior majoring in world language who has a 3.0 or higher GPA. The applicants must be able to clearly articulate in an essay the role that their world language studies play in their future career.
- Recipient must be a CMU junior or senior
- Recipient must be a French, German, or Spanish major with an overall and language-specific GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Students cannot receive the scholarship more than once
- It is only awarded in the Spring Semester
Eric H. Kadler Award for Study Abroad Scholarship
This scholarship was established in 2005 by Dr. Eric H. Kadler, former Professor of French and Chair of the Department of World Languages and Cultures at Central Michigan University. He was born in Czechoslovakia and spoke several languages. With this scholarship, he particularly wanted to support students who are studying more than one world language.
- Recipients must study in a country where French, German, or Spanish is the official language
- Recipients must have junior or senior standing at CMU and be a French, German, or Spanish major while pursuing a second major or minor in another world language
- Recipients should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in their major and an overall GPA of 2.7 or higher
Click here to download the Scholarship Application Form FOR ALL SCHOLARSHIPS