- While there is no specific number that means “too many
medications”, the risk of interactions increases the more medications you are
What is the most important thing I can do to help manage my medications?
- Don’t be shy about asking your doctor questions. If you have questions about the dose or how to take the medicine, you should ask your doctor or pharmacist before starting the prescription.
- Should you experience any reactions or side-effects after starting a new medication, you should contact your doctor immediately.
What are examples of things that can interact with prescription drugs?
- Things like over-the-counter medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, pain relievers and cold medicines can interact with certain prescription drugs.
- Alcohol, tobacco, and caffeine can also react when combined with some medications.
Again, it is important to inform your doctor of
all medications you take regularly.