This two-day event for admitted students will take place April 11 and 12, 2018 on both our Mount Pleasant and Saginaw campuses. The Second Look Experience is designed to give you a complete look at your experience as a medical student here across the four years of the program. We encourage you to attend both days of the event. You can, however, attend just one or the other day as your schedule permits.
This is your opportunity to learn more about the College and explore the unique opportunities that studying here provides. While you are here, you will meet other members of our next class, learn more about life as a CMU College of Medicine student, meet our current students and faculty, and get a first-hand look at our facilities, curriculum and simulation technology.
You can also explore the Central Michigan University campus and the Mount Pleasant community while you are here. We hope this event will help you in making one of the most important decisions of your life – to spend the next four years of your medical education and training at CMU.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the Second Look Experience?
• Our Second Look Experience takes place over two days: Thursday, April 11 through Friday, April 12. New students can attend both days or just one, as their commitments allow.
Where is Second Look?
• Second Look takes place on both of the main campuses of the CMU College of Medicine: the Mount Pleasant campus, where students spend their first two years, and the Saginaw campus, where most students spend their clinical years.
How do I get there?
• The College of Medicine building is located at 1280 S. East Campus Drive in Mount Pleasant. Detailed driving directions will be available when you sign up.
What should I wear?
• Dress for all portions of Second Look is business casual. Be sure to wear shoes comfortable for walking.
Where should I stay?
The College of Medicine has arranged a discounted rate at the Courtyard Mt. Pleasant at CMU
*Ask for the "CMU visitor rate"
Other hotel options near campus include:
Comfort Inn & Suites and Conference Center
Fairfield Inn & Suite Mt. Pleasant
What information will I get?
• Our two-day program will cover all four years of the medical education program, curriculum, financial aid, and student life at CMU. We encourage all new students to come with their own questions already in mind. We will provide substantial opportunities for interaction with faculty, staff, and current students.
Is there parking available? Will I need to pay?
• A printable parking pass will be provided with your confirmation. This will allow you to park on the Mount Pleasant campus both Thursday and Friday, April 11 and 12. (Please note that you cannot park overnight in campus lots.) If you drive to the Saginaw medical education building you will not need a parking pass. Please park in lot 11 or 12, marked with the blue emergency lights.
Is there anything I need to do ahead of time?
• You will receive some pre-reading for the team-based learning exercise. In order for TBL to work with maximum efficacy, it's important that you read this material before the exercise. It should not take more than 15 minutes to complete this task.
I'm an out of state or Canadian student/non-traditional student/parent and have specific concerns about transitioning to the CMU College of Medicine.
• Please contact the office of Admissions before, during, or after Second Look. We can help or put you in touch with additional resources to address your particular situation.
Is there an M1&M2 question and answer panel?
• Since a panel with first and second-year students was a part of your interview day, there will not be a second panel with these students. Please be assured that you will have many opportunities to talk with students in all four years as part of the years 3&4 student panel and during the various presentations scheduled.
Is anything mandatory?
No activities are mandatory, though we anticipate participants will participate in all of the day's workshops and events. If you are unable to participate in all of the activities due to your travel plans or other considerations, just let the admissions team know.