Any two core clerkships.
A VA learning experience offered to 3rd and/or 4th year medical students who are interested in obtaining experience within the VA system, including working with the unique needs of Veterans via a robust Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS). The elective will confer an opportunity to work with a variety of board certified physicians (or specialists) on a ½ day rotational basis in a variety of clinical disciplines including Primary Care, Palliative Care, Urgent Care, Mental Health, Urology, Dental Clinic and Podiatry. The MDSE will provide ambulatory experiences in clinical areas at the Aleda E. Lutz VAMC in a variety of specialty disciplines that treat acute or chronic health conditions prevalent in Veterans and managed within a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) model of care.
- Describe the clinical features, diagnostic work up and treatment of acute or chronic medical conditions most commonly seen in the VA system.
- Describe the rationale of diagnostic procedures in a variety of ambulatory settings.
- Gain familiarity with the management of acute and/or complex medical conditions and the monitoring and treatment modalities based on an evidence-based VA national formulary.
- Demonstrate respect and compassion for all patients.
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional responsibilities and adherence to ethical conduct.
- Understand and respect the unique experiences of Veterans and how it interplays in managing various disease states.
- Work within the PACT model of care as a team member.
- Incorporate considerations of cost effectiveness into diagnostic and therapeutic plans.
- Communicate effectively with the entire patient center.
- Communicate effectively with patients and their families.
College of Medicine standard elective assessment will be completed by supervising faculty at conclusion of elective clerkship.
Interested students should contact CMU College of Medicine Department of Distributed Clinical Education at CMEDDCE@cmich.edu