Year 4 standing (exception MED 840 OB/GYN Clerkship in Owosso)
Detroit, Saginaw, Owosso
Advanced Obstetrics and Gynecology (OB-GYN) is a unique opportunity for medical students to experience the variety of clinical exposures that OB-GYN offers. The student will spend time on the labor floor, clinic and in the operating room assisting with gynecologic procedures. The student will be expected to manage and follow patients during delivery as well as pre- and post-operatively. Students will be exposed to a wide variety of surgical procedures including robotic surgery and laparoscopic procedures. This elective will provide necessary skills for students interested in Obstetrics and Gynecology as a career and those students that wish to learn more about this field and the experiences that come with it.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive women’s medical interview.
- Develop a management plan.
- Discuss the maternal physiologic and anatomic changes associated with pregnancy.
- Describe the three stages of labor and recognize common abnormalities.
- Describe the causes and methods of evaluating abnormal labor patterns.
- Describe normal pelvic anatomy and pelvic support.
- Describe medical and surgical management options for abnormal gynecologic problems.
- Describe management options of complicated pregnancies.
- Listen and care for patients with cultural, ethnic, gender, racial, age and religious Addsensitivity. Communicate effectively with patients.
- Communicate the results of the OB/GYN and general medical interview by well-organized written and oral reports.
College of Medicine standard elective assessment will be completed by supervising faculty at conclusion of elective clerkship.
Interested students should contact CMU College of Medicine Department of Distributed Clinical Education at CMEDDCE@cmich.edu