Residency applications start with ERASTo apply for any of our residency programs, you must submit an application through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). The CMU College of Medicine only accepts application materials sent electronically through ERAS. For more information on how to apply via ERAS, contact your medical school dean of student affairs, or visit the
ERAS web site to review application procedures.
Applications to our residency programs should include:
Eligibility requirements for all medical students:
Requirements for international medical students:
- ERAS common application form with personal statement
- Dean's letter
- Medical school transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- USMLE transcripts (MD) OR
- COMLEX transcripts (DO)
- ECFMG certificate (for international medical graduates only)
Institutional Residency Requirements (No exceptions):
- Graduates of non-U.S. based medical schools must have a medical degree and fulfill all educational requirements to practice medicine in the country where the degree was obtained.
- International medical graduates must also have a valid ECFMG certificate and visa. We will follow the ECFMG rules regarding J-1 Visa status.
Please see more specific requirements in the specialty web pages.
If there are any questions about these requirements, the program directors are required to refer them to the DIO, GME Office 989-583-6900.