Residency applications start with ERASTo apply for any of our residency programs, you must submit an application through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). The CMU College of Medicine only accepts application materials sent electronically through ERAS. For more information on how to apply via ERAS, contact your medical school dean of student affairs, or visit the
ERAS web site to review application procedures.
Applications to our residency programs should include:
Eligibility requirements for all medical students:
Requirements for international medical students:
- ERAS common application form with personal statement
- Dean's letter
- Medical school transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- USMLE transcripts (MD) OR
- COMLEX transcripts (DO)
- ECFMG certificate (for international medical graduates only)
Institutional Residency Requirements (No exceptions):
- Graduates of non-U.S. based medical schools must have a medical degree and fulfill all educational requirements to practice medicine in the country where the degree was obtained.
- International medical graduates must also have a valid ECFMG certificate and visa. We will follow the ECFMG rules regarding J-1 Visa status.
Please see more specific requirements in the specialty web pages.
- Applications only accepted through ERAS.
- No felony conviction.
- No misdemeanor conviction in the last 3 years.
- No alcohol or drug (prescription or illicit) related convictions including DUI/DWI. All new hires will be drug tested upon arrival on campus. Please refer to our Alcohol and Drug Free Workplace Policy.
- Matriculation from a medical school that we cannot verify as an LCME or AOA (Must be on the approved California board list).
- Must be a medical school graduate after July 1, 2016. Exceptions made for those who started medical school prior to this date and 1) graduated and went immediately into a U.S. residency program, 2) are required to be on active federal service (e.g. military payback), 3) are in an advanced degree program (e.g. PhD) while remaining clinically active with hands on experience in the U.S. Shadowing in the U.S. do not count for being clinically active.
- For fellowship positions, greater than three years without clinical activity.
- Passed USMLE Step 1 & 2 CS and 2 CK or COMLEX Level 1 & 2-CE and 2-PE on 1st attempt (applicants with failure of one exam may be reviewed but unlikely to receive an interview).
- No two remediations or reiterations of courses or clerkships
- We do not sponsor H1-B visas. We will follow the ECFMG rules regarding J-1 Visa status.
- We do not prescreen applications prior to submission of ERAS application.
- Medical students interested in Couples Matching should review the
Couples Match Policy before applying.
If there are any questions about these requirements, the program directors are required to refer them to the DIO, GME Office 989-583-6900.