Why choose Saginaw for training in Emergency Medicine?Benefits of the Hospital System
- Large patient base - 800,000 in the Saginaw regional referral area coming from 14 surrounding counties including most of northeast Michigan and the “thumb” area.
- Two principal hospitals, Covenant HealthCare and Saint Mary's of Michigan Hospital, are referral centers for most of the complex medical care in the region including:
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Regional Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Neuro Intensive Care Unit
- Regional Cancer Treatment Center
- Frank Anderson Regional Eye Institute
- Regional Hemodialysis Center
- Regional Trauma Referral Center
- 24-hour Cardiac Cath Lab
- Saint Mary's Medical Center has one of the largest and most technically sophisticated Neurosurgery Intensive Care units in Michigan. Saginaw Valley Neurosurgery performs more neurosurgical procedures than any other institute or practice in the state.
- High volume of blunt trauma in Saginaw with rotations at Hurley Medical Center with high volume penetrating trauma.
- Rotations at Inner City Hospital ED with ACS Level I Trauma Designation.
Benefits of the Residency Program
- Emergency residents and faculty run all traumas in the ED.
- Voluntary participation in both EMS Rotor Wing Programs in the community (Flight Care and Life Net Helicopter).
- 25% of ED visits are pediatric cases - (3) months of additional ambulatory and critical care pediatric training are done during residency.
- EM Residency didactic program includes weekly conference with scheduled topics on: EKG, radiology, practice oral boards, M&M, patient follow-up, EM administration, EMS, grand rounds, ultrasound, and book review (with lunch). Residents are required to attend all conferences and are released from all rotations in order to attend these conferences.
- CMU Healthcare is the East Campus of Central Michigan University College of Medicine: resources of a major university, and opportunity to teach students.
- Saginaw has many research and publication opportunities. CMU Healthcare has a supportive Research Department dedicated to helping residents and faculty in their research endeavors.
- The Information Resources provides extensive support for resident research including free searches, photocopying, inter-library loans and state of the art audiovisual equipment for presentations (laptop computer with projectors, teleconferencing, etc). This translates into a fantastic time saver.
- Perks/benefits include; yearly book allowance, conference allowance, and paid memberships in SAEM & ACEP.
- CMU Healthcare provides training to residents in Ultrasound, ACLS, ATLS, PALS and an opportunity to become ACLS Instructors.
Personal Benefits of the Residency Program
- The residency is very family-friendly with only a few months of home call or off-service rotations during the residency program.
- Flexible residency program with experienced EM-boarded faculty.
- EM Residents come from all over the United States.
- The EM residents have multiple social events including annual summer BBQ's and Christmas parties, sporting events and parties at faculty and residents' homes.
Benefits of the Saginaw Area
- Traveling in and out of the area is facilitated by Midland/BayCity/Saginaw International Airport (MBS) which is convenient and with easy parking, quick check-in and no long gate hikes.
- Saginaw is a one and one-half hour drive or less, to most metropolitan areas in Michigan (Lansing, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Flint). Lansing and Ann Arbor are home to Michigan State University and the University of Michigan respectively.
- Saginaw is a safe, family-oriented community with good schools and lots of local activities for the family including local parks with playgrounds, free wading pool, indoor amusement park, very well-maintained Children’s Zoo, etc.
- Mid-Michigan provides tremendous opportunities for outdoor activities, including hunting, fishing, boating, skiing, mountain biking and golf. The Saginaw Bay offers many water activities and is located within a twenty-minute drive from the hospitals.
- Saginaw has numerous universities and colleges including Saginaw Valley State University, Delta University, Central Michigan University, Northwood University and Davenport University.
- Saginaw is home to most major stores (Sears, Sam’s Club, Wal-Mart, Meijer, Best Buy, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Babies-R-Us, Hobby Lobby, Jo-Ann Fabrics, Kohl’s, Barnes & Noble, Petsmart, Kroger, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Menards, Gander Mountain, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc.) One of the largest Outlet Malls in the country is just a short drive from the hospitals in Birch Run.
- Saginaw offers many restaurants for many tastes including Olive Garden, Outback, Famous Dave's, Chili’s, Applebee’s, etc. with all the usual fast-food chains and many other restaurants serving Chinese, Indian, Italian, Japanese, Mexican, etc.
- Saginaw has over two dozen affordable private/public golf courses. Michigan has been rated in the top five of states for golf courses per capita.
- Saginaw is home to most major religions, so you can easily find a religious community to become involved in.
- RESIDENTS HAVE FUN IN SAGINAW!