Application and Interview Process
- Applicants who are graduates of an accredited U.S. or Canadian medical school must have passed the United States Licensing Examination (USMLE) before being considered for a residency position.
- Graduates of foreign medical schools must have a medical degree and fulfill all educational requirements to practice medicine in the country where the degree was obtained.
- International medical graduates must also have a valid ECFMG certificate and visa. CMU Healthcare offers no employer sponsored visas for graduate medical education trainees.
- All applicants for a first year residency training position must be registered with the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
We encourage you to apply for residency training at CMU Healthcare All of our residency programs participate in the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS), and only accept application materials sent electronically through ERAS®. Paper applications are not accepted. For more information on how to apply via ERAS, contact your medical school dean of student affairs, or visit the ERAS web site to review application procedures. Applications to our residency programs should include:
Attention D.O. Students:In order to meet Michigan state licensing requirements you must have completed an osteopathic internship before matriculating into an allopathic residency. Therefore we do not interview or rank osteopathic students who will not have completed this requirement by July of the year for which you are applying for residency. We will be happy to review your application when you have met this requirement.
- Apply through ERAS.
- Must be a medical school grad within the past 2 years.
- US citizen or permanent resident. CMU Healthcare Department of Surgery offers no employer-sponsered visas for graduate medical education trainees.
- Successfully pass Step 1, 2 and CS on first attempt.
- Minimum score of 210 on USMLE.
- ECFMG certified (ECFMG certification by the time of ranking if you are not a medical student).
- Copies of:
- USMLE transcript
- ECFMG report
- Medical school transcript
- Dean's letter
- Personal statement
- 3 to 4 current letters of recommendation, 2 of which should be from current surgical faculty. If a prelim, one letter of recommendation must be from your current program director.
- Consideration to residents currently serving a preliminary year, or graduates from non-LCGME medical schools are given on a case by case basis, and must apply through ERAS.
- Interviews begin November and continue through January.
- Two first year slots are available each year.
Correspondence should be directed to a specific residency program at: CMU Healthcare1000 Houghton AvenueSaginaw, Michigan 48602 General Surgery Program ID Number: 440-25-21-159Interviews:
What we provide on interview day:
Interviews are scheduled in a group setting of 3-4 candidates per interview day. This includes a pre-interview dinner with the residents and a paid overnight stay at a local hotel. Individual interviews are also arranged for those who are unable to meet specified interview dates.
- Lodging on the evening before depature.
- Transportation to/from MBS airport and hotel, and to/from hotel and CMU.
- Dinner the prior night of your interview.
- Lunch the day of your interview with residents and faculty.
- Opportunity to meet with faculty.
- An information packet about the city and surrounding area, including real estate materials to help locate a home/apartment.